SAN BRUNO, Calif. – Senior center Jennifer Hamson of BYU has been named this week’s West Coast Conference Women’s Basketball Player of the Week.
She was also named College Sports Madness West Coast Women’s Basketball Player of the Week.
Hamson helped guide the BYU women’s basketball team to a 2-0 record on the week. In a victory at UNLV and an overtime thriller against Boston College, Hamson finished with 41 points, 16 rebounds, three assists and eight blocks. She shot 64 percent from the field and 60 percent from the charity stripe while averaging 20.5 points per game, 8.0 rebounds and 4.0 blocks per contest.
Hamson played a vital role in BYU’s overtime victory over the Eagles. She picked up her second double-double of the year with a career-high 28 points and pulled down 12 rebounds. The points were game highs as were her seven blocks. Hamson recorded more blocks than the entire Boston College team, which had five.
In the road win at UNLV, she contributed 13 points, four rebounds, one assist and one block in 21 minutes of playing time. She sat out for the last 10 minutes of the first half of the game after picking up three quick fouls. In the second half, her inside presence was critical to the Cougars’ win.
The league honor is the first of the season for Hamson and the second of her career.
Norma Collett is the athletic communications director for the BYU women's basketball team. She can be reached at 801-422-4908 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- Morning links: Projecting the 2016 football...
- College football countdown No. 45: Harvey Unga
- BYU quarterback Taysom Hill explains why he's...
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12...
- Young cancer patient gives former Cougar Kyle...
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup: Baylor,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: Projecting the 2016... 73
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 67
- Morning links: National college... 62
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 58
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 45