BYU basketball: Up-next Iowa State Cyclones ranked No. 21 after upset victory over Michigan
Charlie Neibergall, AP
Wednesday night's BYU basketball game has some added intrigue.
The Cougars, who went 3-0 during the week since the last ranking came out (including a 112-103 victory at Stanford), received two votes in the poll.
BYU and Iowa State match up at the Marriott Center on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m., a game that will be televised on ESPNU. Last year, the Cyclones easily beat the Cougars 83-62 in Ames, Iowa, on a night BYU shot just 37 percent.
With Iowa State entering the rankings, BYU will have the chance to end a long streak. BYU play-by-play announcer Greg Wrubell tweeted that the Cougars haven't beaten a ranked non-conference opponent on their homecourt since beating No. 14 Pittsburgh 93-73 on Dec. 23, 1986, at the Marriott Center.
Forward Melvin Ejim was the catalyst in the Cyclones' victory over the Wolverines, the national runner-up last season. Ejim, a preseason All-Big 12 selection who missed the first two games of the season with a knee injury, scored 22 points and had nine rebounds in 28 minutes, as Iowa State rallied from eight down in the second half to knock off Michigan.
It was Iowa State's first home win over a non-conference top-10 opponent in 26 years.
“Today was huge,” Cyclones coach Fred Hoiberg told the Ames Tribune. “I can’t tell you how proud I am of how our guys responded to the adversity that hit us.”
Now, the Cougars will have their chance to break a historic home streak when they host Iowa State on Wednesday night.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Austin Collie signs with CFL's BC Lions,...
- Doug Robinson: What might have been for the...
- BYU basketball: Cougars shake up starting...
- BYU holds on for 78-74 win over San Francisco
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 60
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35