Utah did beat Stanford this year, on a nicely conceived plan, the best win in Utah’s post-Mountain West existence. But it was one game in a bad season.
There are reasons for this, besides being outmanned. Utah hasn’t had a healthy quarterback since the Stanford game. It didn’t have tight end Jake Murphy for six weeks, though it did on Saturday.
It wasn’t enough.
Now Utah’s bowl hopes rest on beating Washington State and Colorado. That’ s what everyone expected. Utah is looking to pick on the other small fries, which is not a great option.
Asked where his program is compared to three years ago, Whittingham said, “I know we’re a better football team overall. I’ve said that over and over. But today the record doesn’t show that.”
Added Reilly, “It’s just one of those things where — I don’t know what it is — but we have not been able to step on people. It’s kind of a yearly thing for us.”
That’s where they are. And where they’ve been. For another year in the Pac-12, it seems the eagle has landed.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @therockmonster; Blog: Rockmonster Unplugged
- Ranking the best rookie seasons in Utah Jazz...
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay forever
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- BYU football: Baker Pritchard discusses...
- Dick Harmon: Many expect Jabari Parker to...
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on continued...
- Surviving the unthinkable: Utah lineman who...
- Forget Kaepernick, Taysom Hill should be...
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 50
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 50
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 44
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Utah football: Utes are eager to pick... 33
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 30
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss... 24
- Doug Robinson: Basketball needs a new,... 24