BYU football: Cougars take time to honor inspiring 12-year-old boy on senior day
Matt Gade, Deseret News
PROVO — Saturday’s 59-13 win over Idaho State was supposed to be all about honoring BYU's seniors in their final home game, but one senior was mindful of honoring someone else.
Meet Dawson Darnell, a 12-year old from Farmington, whose selfless act on his birthday caught the notice of BYU senior linebacker Spencer Hadley.
Dawson told his mother Jami he’d like to use all the money she usually spends on parties and gifts to instead buy stuffed animals and other means of comfort for patients at Primary Children’s Hospital. Dawson did this in honor of his friend Clara, who passed away on Dawson's birthday after battling cancer.
Hadley learned of Dawson’s gift while eating at Bam Bam’s BBQ from Cam Treu, the owner, and quickly asked coach Bronco Mendenhall if the team could do something to honor Dawson.
“What Dawson did was awesome,” Hadley said. “It really touched me, and it touched Coach Mendenhall, so we decided to make him our honorary teammate for a day because that’s what it’s all about. Coach Mendenhall is big on service, and I think it’s our duty, as players, to recognize great kids in the community like Dawson.”
Dawson spent Saturday hanging out with players in the locker room, running out of the tunnel and generally receiving the type of inside view of BYU football most fans dream of.
“He had a blast and it was a blast for me and my teammates to include Dawson,” Hadley said. “I just hope he understands that he’s a great kid and a great example to all of us.”
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25