BYU football: Cougars take time to honor inspiring 12-year-old boy on senior day
Matt Gade, Deseret News
PROVO — Saturday’s 59-13 win over Idaho State was supposed to be all about honoring BYU's seniors in their final home game, but one senior was mindful of honoring someone else.
Meet Dawson Darnell, a 12-year old from Farmington, whose selfless act on his birthday caught the notice of BYU senior linebacker Spencer Hadley.
Dawson told his mother Jami he’d like to use all the money she usually spends on parties and gifts to instead buy stuffed animals and other means of comfort for patients at Primary Children’s Hospital. Dawson did this in honor of his friend Clara, who passed away on Dawson's birthday after battling cancer.
Hadley learned of Dawson’s gift while eating at Bam Bam’s BBQ from Cam Treu, the owner, and quickly asked coach Bronco Mendenhall if the team could do something to honor Dawson.
“What Dawson did was awesome,” Hadley said. “It really touched me, and it touched Coach Mendenhall, so we decided to make him our honorary teammate for a day because that’s what it’s all about. Coach Mendenhall is big on service, and I think it’s our duty, as players, to recognize great kids in the community like Dawson.”
Dawson spent Saturday hanging out with players in the locker room, running out of the tunnel and generally receiving the type of inside view of BYU football most fans dream of.
“He had a blast and it was a blast for me and my teammates to include Dawson,” Hadley said. “I just hope he understands that he’s a great kid and a great example to all of us.”
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Davis High named top girls soccer team in the...
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad story of...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 55
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 47
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35