Westminster basketball: Griffins still perfect after 62-34 win at Biola
LA MIRADA, Calif. – The fifth-ranked Westminster College women’s basketball team continued its fast start to the new season with a 62-34 win at Biola (Calif.) on Friday night at Chase Gymnasium.
Westminster is now 4-0 on the season for the first time since the 2008-09 season. The loss drops Biola to 0-6 for the year.
Trailing 19-18 with 5:01 to play in the first half, Westminster closed the period with 10 consecutive points to lead, 28-19, at intermission. The Griffins continued to pull away early in the second half as the lead grew to 23 at the 12:41 mark.
The Griffins shot 50 percent from the floor in the game, including 63.6 percent in the second half. That percentage was bolstered by nine threes with the team making 6-of-7 (85.7%) from beyond the arc in the second half. Westminster notched 20 assists on 26 made field goals while only committing eight turnovers. Westminster's stingy defense held Biola to 26.9 percent from the floor and 18.8 percent from beyond the arc. The Griffins also forced 21 turnovers with 11 steals.
Kelsi Wells led four players in double figures with 17 points, making seven of her eight shot attempts and going 3-of-4 from deep. She also tied for the team lead with five rebounds. Shelby Ellsworth and Amy Krommenhoek scored 11 points apiece, while Alli Blake went for 10 points and five assists.
Biola was led by seven points from Amanda Darouie with Chelsea Hill and Adijat Adams scoring six points apiece.
The Griffins perfect start will be tested Saturday when they face top-ranked Vanguard (Calif.) in Costa Mesa, Calif. Tipoff from The Pit is slated for 1 p.m. MST.
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- USU football: Aggies geared up to take on the...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41