Vai's View: Todd Christensen was an extraordinary athlete, intellectual, humorist and mentor
Toby told me his dad loathed mediocrity. “Dad demanded that we do our best. He rewarded us kids for straight A’s, buying us anything we wanted under $100. Once, I had all A’s, but one was an A-minus. Wasn’t good enough. I protested and cried, but he was firm. ‘Son, a deal is a deal. Straight A’s was our agreement.’”
Todd Christensen was an extraordinary athlete, yet he was like all of us. Complicated and simple. Vain and compassionate. Intelligent and irreverent. Passionate and indifferent. Faithful and rebellious. A Cougar and a Raider.
Consider the following poem "The Autumn Wind" from Steve Sabol, the late NFL Films President:
The Autumn Wind is a raider
Pillaging just for fun
He’ll knock you ‘round and upside down
And laugh when he’s conquered and won
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- About Utah: Company helps show 'you don't win...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 73
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24