Two boys, ages 12 and 15, dead following shooting in Daybreak home
SOUTH JORDAN — Two young boys were shot to death in a Daybreak home Friday, leaving police investigating into the night.
The boys, ages 12 and 15, were not identified Friday night pending family notification.
Neighbors said four boys and one girl live in the home, 4781 W. Pine Canyon Way. The youngest is 8 years old, and the rest are teenagers.
Police didn't specify whether the two boys killed Friday are related.
Investigators were questioning three potential witnesses, also juveniles, who were in the home at the time of the shooting, said South Jordan Police Sgt. Sam Winkler.
The three boys being questioned are not all related, and it's unclear whether they saw the shooting or if they were just nearby, Winkler said.
An off-duty West Valley City police officer was driving through the neighborhood about 4:30 p.m. when he was flagged down by one of the boys who was in the home when the shots were fired.
Upon finding the two boys dead in the basement, the officer alerted South Jordan police, who secured the home and exited until investigators could return with a warrant, Winkler said.
Police moved throughout the house late Friday collecting evidence they hope will help answer the painful questions now facing the quiet neighborhood.
"We don't know if it's accidental, intentional (or a) suicide pact. We don't have that information," Winkler said. "As our detectives interview the other parties that were on scene, and forensic crews from West Jordan and South Jordan go through the scene, hopefully we can get more evidence (that will) point us to a little more of what happened."
Winkler was unsure whether there was a history of violence in the home, and police were still working to determine who the gun belonged to.
- Police reviewing possible nightclub photos of...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Missionary, police testify against man...
- Woman who drank toxic tea credits God, family...
- Man charged with killing baby in Ogden told...
- Apparent lightning strike hits Duchesne...
- Many questions remain in case of baby found...
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 46
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 40
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 30
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22