SOUTH JORDAN — Two young boys were shot to death in a Daybreak home Friday, leaving police investigating into the night.
The boys, ages 12 and 15, were not identified Friday night pending family notification.
Neighbors said four boys and one girl live in the home, 4781 W. Pine Canyon Way. The youngest is 8 years old, and the rest are teenagers.
Police didn't specify whether the two boys killed Friday are related.
Investigators were questioning three potential witnesses, also juveniles, who were in the home at the time of the shooting, said South Jordan Police Sgt. Sam Winkler.
The three boys being questioned are not all related, and it's unclear whether they saw the shooting or if they were just nearby, Winkler said.
An off-duty West Valley City police officer was driving through the neighborhood about 4:30 p.m. when he was flagged down by one of the boys who was in the home when the shots were fired.
Upon finding the two boys dead in the basement, the officer alerted South Jordan police, who secured the home and exited until investigators could return with a warrant, Winkler said.
Police moved throughout the house late Friday collecting evidence they hope will help answer the painful questions now facing the quiet neighborhood.
"We don't know if it's accidental, intentional (or a) suicide pact. We don't have that information," Winkler said. "As our detectives interview the other parties that were on scene, and forensic crews from West Jordan and South Jordan go through the scene, hopefully we can get more evidence (that will) point us to a little more of what happened."
Winkler was unsure whether there was a history of violence in the home, and police were still working to determine who the gun belonged to.
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- Second victim found of Murray trucker accused...
- Two cyclists killed after hit by pickup in...
- Historic Star Mill owner sells property;...
- Salt Lake police warn of vinyl fence vandals
- Gov. Herbert: I'm an 'action figure' on...
- Alleged mastermind in sex trafficking ring...
- House report: John Swallow hung 'for sale'...
- Judge: Biological father will share... 31
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 27
- Local religious leaders urge support... 25
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 24
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 24
- Gov. Herbert: I'm an 'action figure' on... 22
- Hatch, Lee call on federal government... 19
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18