Two boys, ages 12 and 15, dead following shooting in Daybreak home
SOUTH JORDAN — Two young boys were shot to death in a Daybreak home Friday, leaving police investigating into the night.
The boys, ages 12 and 15, were not identified Friday night pending family notification.
Neighbors said four boys and one girl live in the home, 4781 W. Pine Canyon Way. The youngest is 8 years old, and the rest are teenagers.
Police didn't specify whether the two boys killed Friday are related.
Investigators were questioning three potential witnesses, also juveniles, who were in the home at the time of the shooting, said South Jordan Police Sgt. Sam Winkler.
The three boys being questioned are not all related, and it's unclear whether they saw the shooting or if they were just nearby, Winkler said.
An off-duty West Valley City police officer was driving through the neighborhood about 4:30 p.m. when he was flagged down by one of the boys who was in the home when the shots were fired.
Upon finding the two boys dead in the basement, the officer alerted South Jordan police, who secured the home and exited until investigators could return with a warrant, Winkler said.
Police moved throughout the house late Friday collecting evidence they hope will help answer the painful questions now facing the quiet neighborhood.
"We don't know if it's accidental, intentional (or a) suicide pact. We don't have that information," Winkler said. "As our detectives interview the other parties that were on scene, and forensic crews from West Jordan and South Jordan go through the scene, hopefully we can get more evidence (that will) point us to a little more of what happened."
Winkler was unsure whether there was a history of violence in the home, and police were still working to determine who the gun belonged to.
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- 'Our lives have been better for having her,'...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters in...
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School District...
- Students dress in Sunday best to honor young...
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage...
- Veterans Day 'mystery soldier' not anonymous...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 63
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 50
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 32
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 20
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 20
- Students dress in Sunday best to honor... 17