Two boys, ages 12 and 15, dead following shooting in Daybreak home
SOUTH JORDAN — Two young boys were shot to death in a Daybreak home Friday, leaving police investigating into the night.
The boys, ages 12 and 15, were not identified Friday night pending family notification.
Neighbors said four boys and one girl live in the home, 4781 W. Pine Canyon Way. The youngest is 8 years old, and the rest are teenagers.
Police didn't specify whether the two boys killed Friday are related.
Investigators were questioning three potential witnesses, also juveniles, who were in the home at the time of the shooting, said South Jordan Police Sgt. Sam Winkler.
The three boys being questioned are not all related, and it's unclear whether they saw the shooting or if they were just nearby, Winkler said.
An off-duty West Valley City police officer was driving through the neighborhood about 4:30 p.m. when he was flagged down by one of the boys who was in the home when the shots were fired.
Upon finding the two boys dead in the basement, the officer alerted South Jordan police, who secured the home and exited until investigators could return with a warrant, Winkler said.
Police moved throughout the house late Friday collecting evidence they hope will help answer the painful questions now facing the quiet neighborhood.
"We don't know if it's accidental, intentional (or a) suicide pact. We don't have that information," Winkler said. "As our detectives interview the other parties that were on scene, and forensic crews from West Jordan and South Jordan go through the scene, hopefully we can get more evidence (that will) point us to a little more of what happened."
Winkler was unsure whether there was a history of violence in the home, and police were still working to determine who the gun belonged to.
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- 3 South Jordan siblings battling rare disease...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Ex-Tabiona High teacher sent to prison for...
- Police chief of Myton charged with stalking 3...
- Police break silence about controversial...
- Utah, Western states say feds are all wet on...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 80
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 67
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Police break silence about... 47
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 23
- New definition of homeless would give... 20
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 15