BYU cross-country: Ward, Cougars place fourth at Mountain Region Championships
RIVERDALE — One day after having his eligibiltiy reinstated, Jared Ward finished fourth overall to lead No. 5 BYU men's cross-country to a fourth-place team finish at the NCAA Mountain Region Championships on Friday.
"It's fun to be back with the team," Ward said. "It's fun to see the support of the fans and even the competition. I felt pretty good, even better than I thought that I would. We took care of business today."
Jason Witt and Tylor Thatcher finished in the 18th and 19th spots, respectively. Taylor Farnsworth finished fourth for the Cougars and 32nd overall. Curtis Carr was the final scoring runner for BYU, placing 36th to give the Cougars a total of 109 points.
"We held out a few of our runners so they would be rested," head coach Ed Eyestone said. "Anytime you do that it creates a little bit of an element of uncertainty because you're not going full strength. I was really happy with our top three who will be running at nationals. The big question of the day was how would Ward respond. I think we learned that at a sub-max effort he's very capable of running with the lead pack. I think Witt and Thatcher ran very well, very controlled also. I was happy with that."
No. 2 Northern Arizona finished in first place with 61 points, just edging No. 1 Colorado, which finished with 69 points. No. 11 New Mexico finished in third with 79 points.
With a fourth-place finish, the Cougars are optimistic that they will recieve an at-large bid to run in the NCAA Championships in Terre Haute, Ind., on Saturday, Nov. 23. BYU finished sixth at the NCAA Championships last season.
Justin Green is the sports information director over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2013. Email: justinjgreen8@gmail.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- BYU defense working hard to catch up to the...
- BYU-Boise State game expected to feature...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some... 23
- BYU football: Jaren Hall, the son of... 15
- BYU, Nevada both struggling in pass... 13