“The Paradise” (BBC, 2012, three discs, $39.98, eight episodes, featurette). Victorian soap opera set against the backdrop of the first department store in a Northern English town where Denise Lovett (Joanna Vanderham) finds work as a salesgirl and, naturally, catches the eye of the owner, much to the displeasure of two other women. Played on PBS last month. A second series is now airing in Great Britain. (Also on Blu-ray, $44.98)
“Stan Lee’s Superhumans: Season Two” (History/Lionsgate, 2011, four discs, $24.98, 13 episodes, deleted scenes). Stan Lee, for the uninitiated, is the legendary comic-book writer who created Spider-Man, The X-Men and many other iconic Marvel superheroes. This reality series has him hosting people with unique genetic traits, as episode titles indicate: “Shark Master,” “Steel Face,” “Supersight,” etc.
“Power Rangers: Seasons 8-12” (Shout!, 2000-04, 26 discs, $179.99, 196 episodes, featurettes). These five-disc season sets are repackaged in this box set, along with a bonus disc full of features: “Lightspeed Rescue,” “Time Force,” “Wild Force,” “Ninja Storm” and “Dino Thunder.”
“Chuggington: Chief Wilson” (Anchor Bay, 2013, $14.98, six episodes, bonus “Badge Quest” episode, featurettes, coloring/activity sheet). Animated British series aimed at preschoolers about anthropomorphic trains
“Barney: Perfectly Purple” (HIT/Lionsgate, 2013, $14.98, three episodes, interactive game, read-along, karaoke music video). The purple dinosaur and his pals present message-driven stories to preschoolers.
Chris Hicks is the author of "Has Hollywood Lost Its Mind? A Parent’s Guide to Movie Ratings." His website is www.hicksflicks.com
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- 2015 summer festivals and celebrations around...
- Great-grandfather receives honorary diploma,...
- It's 'trauma season' in Utah for children
- How strict should parents really be?
- Studies show different roles of mothers...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay adults not...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay... 169
- Report: Millennials in Utah mirror... 6
- Family stress and poverty affect... 6
- Disney's 'Tomorrowland' is a... 5
- Why exposing your children to another... 4
- 100 deadly days of summer: What you... 4
- Great-grandfather receives honorary... 3
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 3