Police arrest man for allegedly stealing bags at airport
SALT LAKE CITY — A man who allegedly tried to steal luggage from the baggage claim area of Salt Lake City International Airport was arrested Thursday night.
Bryan John Saba, 31, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of two counts of theft, failing to stop at the command of a law enforcer, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
About 9:40 p.m. Thursday, airport security noticed a suspicious man getting off the airport TRAX line, walk into baggage area and remove two bags off the carousel, according to a jail report.
Airport police stopped the man as he got on the escalator to go to the parking garage. He told them he was picking the bags up for a friend who was waiting in the garage, the report stated. The man said he was not carrying any identification, according to the report.
As the officers searched the man, they found two syringes in his pocket, the report stated. As they attempted to handcuff him, Saba broke free and ran off. Another airport patron noticed the ensuing foot chase and "attempted to assist police by throwing a folded up luggage cart at the male's feet in an attempt to stop him," according to the report.
One of the officers then tackled Saba from behind and handcuffed him.
Saba has an extensive criminal history, according to Utah court records. His latest conviction was in June, when he was convicted of felony burglary and theft. He received a suspended prison term in that case and was sentenced to probation.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Icy roads blamed for Cedar City car crash...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Troopers identify Colorado man as victim of...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 9
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 6