Police arrest man for allegedly stealing bags at airport
SALT LAKE CITY — A man who allegedly tried to steal luggage from the baggage claim area of Salt Lake City International Airport was arrested Thursday night.
Bryan John Saba, 31, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of two counts of theft, failing to stop at the command of a law enforcer, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
About 9:40 p.m. Thursday, airport security noticed a suspicious man getting off the airport TRAX line, walk into baggage area and remove two bags off the carousel, according to a jail report.
Airport police stopped the man as he got on the escalator to go to the parking garage. He told them he was picking the bags up for a friend who was waiting in the garage, the report stated. The man said he was not carrying any identification, according to the report.
As the officers searched the man, they found two syringes in his pocket, the report stated. As they attempted to handcuff him, Saba broke free and ran off. Another airport patron noticed the ensuing foot chase and "attempted to assist police by throwing a folded up luggage cart at the male's feet in an attempt to stop him," according to the report.
One of the officers then tackled Saba from behind and handcuffed him.
Saba has an extensive criminal history, according to Utah court records. His latest conviction was in June, when he was convicted of felony burglary and theft. He received a suspended prison term in that case and was sentenced to probation.
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Mother and son charged in drive-by shooting...
- Salt Lake County lands on Top 10 list of...
- Body cameras have played roles in 2...
- New poll shows more support for Sen. Mike Lee
- Utah family into film, acting, directing and...
- A parent's worst nightmare: When a fever...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 89
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 50
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 44
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 31
- Granite School District reaches... 22
- New poll shows more support for Sen.... 20