2 Utah prep football players invited to Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl
Two Utah prep football players have been invited to participate in the Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl in January.
Timpview’s Isaiah Nacua and Granger’s Kenyon Frison were named to the West’s team, while Granger head coach Cecil Thomas was asked to be a coach in the all-star game on Jan. 5, 2014.
“I got a text message,” said Nacua, a 6-foot-3, 250-pound defensive end. “I feel really great, honored to play in it. I can’t wait to go play.”
Frison, a 6-foot-6 senior offensive tackle, was also honored to be named to the squad. His selection is especially significant as he has only been playing football for a couple of years.
“It’s a big deal to him,” Thomas said. He’s a little different than your average kid. He’s not wrapped up in the recruiting and attention. This is only his second year of playing.”
Frison played basketball all of his life and planned to pursue a college basketball career.
“He thought he was going to be a basketball player,” Thomas said laughing. “(The other coaches) got him out for football last summer when I got here. His whole life growing up, he never played football.”
Thomas said Frison’s success is due to great natural talent and a relentless work ethic.
“He has some intangibles,” Thomas said. “Bodies like his don’t just fall of trees. He can play anywhere if he has the work ethic, and he does.”
Frison has committed to Utah but is still receiving a lot of interest from other programs. Nacua has not committed to a college program yet and says he probably won’t until national signing day in February or later.
“I’m open to all my recruitments,” he said. He’s had interest from coaches in the SEC and Pac-12.
Both boys will play in the Jan. 5 game, which will be broadcast life on Fox Sports. The Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl is 3 years old. Both boys will be presented with jerseys next week in ceremonies involving the United States Marine Corps.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 25
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21