2 Utah prep football players invited to Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl
Two Utah prep football players have been invited to participate in the Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl in January.
Timpview’s Isaiah Nacua and Granger’s Kenyon Frison were named to the West’s team, while Granger head coach Cecil Thomas was asked to be a coach in the all-star game on Jan. 5, 2014.
“I got a text message,” said Nacua, a 6-foot-3, 250-pound defensive end. “I feel really great, honored to play in it. I can’t wait to go play.”
Frison, a 6-foot-6 senior offensive tackle, was also honored to be named to the squad. His selection is especially significant as he has only been playing football for a couple of years.
“It’s a big deal to him,” Thomas said. He’s a little different than your average kid. He’s not wrapped up in the recruiting and attention. This is only his second year of playing.”
Frison played basketball all of his life and planned to pursue a college basketball career.
“He thought he was going to be a basketball player,” Thomas said laughing. “(The other coaches) got him out for football last summer when I got here. His whole life growing up, he never played football.”
Thomas said Frison’s success is due to great natural talent and a relentless work ethic.
“He has some intangibles,” Thomas said. “Bodies like his don’t just fall of trees. He can play anywhere if he has the work ethic, and he does.”
Frison has committed to Utah but is still receiving a lot of interest from other programs. Nacua has not committed to a college program yet and says he probably won’t until national signing day in February or later.
“I’m open to all my recruitments,” he said. He’s had interest from coaches in the SEC and Pac-12.
Both boys will play in the Jan. 5 game, which will be broadcast life on Fox Sports. The Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl is 3 years old. Both boys will be presented with jerseys next week in ceremonies involving the United States Marine Corps.
- The 1995 NBA draft redone: Was Greg Ostertag...
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;...
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul Neto...
- Jazz fan favorite Jeremy Evans' era in Utah...
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Hatfield suspended from U. football program...
- Hoffman, Collie or Doughty: Which local...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 106
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;... 36
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 35
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert... 29
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 27
- Utah Utes enjoy banner year as seven... 19
- Hatfield suspended from U. football... 18