11 things you should know about the older Mormon YSA crowd
This may sound really selfish, and I will be the first to admit that being single has its perks. We can have 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep almost every single night. Nobody depends on us and we can do whatever we want, whenever we want. We can have alone time ... every day. When the time comes for me to have my own family, I'll miss that. A lot.
But that's not what this is about. We have seen so many miserable marriages. Infidelity, pornography, selfishness, abuse, manipulation and controlling spouses ... these are no longer things we just hear about, they are things that happen to our brothers and sisters, our parents, our very close friends ... AND for many of us in our dating relationships. Yes, we know any good marriage takes a lot of hard work, communication and compromise. No, we are not waiting for the "perfect" marriage. It's just that we would much rather wait for an opportunity for a good marriage, instead of settling for one with major problems.
10: It's not that there's something wrong with us.
"HOW are you not married yet?!"
If I had a nickel for every time I've been asked this ...
I have to admit, I do it to. I see someone fabulous and ask myself the same question about them, and then I wonder if there's some deep dark secret that's keeping them from marriage. But the fact of the matter is most of us are pretty normal, and pretty awesome, if I do say so myself.
If we knew the answer to this question, we'd tell you. But I have a feeling this is one of those "this will all make sense in retrospect" things. God knows the answer, and that's all that matters.
11. Though we might not know exactly what we're looking for, we know it will be worth the wait.
I believe this. I believe I will FEEL when it's right, and though it will take work, it will also be wonderful.
Until then, I'm content just being me.
- LDS Church's official website to evolve over...
- LDS dad among finalists for Doritos Super...
- At BYU, Catholic archbishop seeks friends,...
- LDS mission president's wife dies
- LDS apostle Elder David A. Bednar offers...
- Book review: Young widow's memoir presents a...
- 'His paths are righteous' — Elder Cook...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Bible wars among...
- See why this woman's decision not to... 40
- Hamblin & Peterson: Bible wars among... 37
- At BYU, Catholic archbishop seeks... 30
- Defending the Faith: A tribute to... 17
- LDS mission president's wife dies 15
- Religious response to postponed... 12
- Some Republican presidential hopefuls... 11
- Faith, friends and football: Stanford... 9