11 things you should know about the older Mormon YSA crowd
This may sound really selfish, and I will be the first to admit that being single has its perks. We can have 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep almost every single night. Nobody depends on us and we can do whatever we want, whenever we want. We can have alone time ... every day. When the time comes for me to have my own family, I'll miss that. A lot.
But that's not what this is about. We have seen so many miserable marriages. Infidelity, pornography, selfishness, abuse, manipulation and controlling spouses ... these are no longer things we just hear about, they are things that happen to our brothers and sisters, our parents, our very close friends ... AND for many of us in our dating relationships. Yes, we know any good marriage takes a lot of hard work, communication and compromise. No, we are not waiting for the "perfect" marriage. It's just that we would much rather wait for an opportunity for a good marriage, instead of settling for one with major problems.
10: It's not that there's something wrong with us.
"HOW are you not married yet?!"
If I had a nickel for every time I've been asked this ...
I have to admit, I do it to. I see someone fabulous and ask myself the same question about them, and then I wonder if there's some deep dark secret that's keeping them from marriage. But the fact of the matter is most of us are pretty normal, and pretty awesome, if I do say so myself.
If we knew the answer to this question, we'd tell you. But I have a feeling this is one of those "this will all make sense in retrospect" things. God knows the answer, and that's all that matters.
11. Though we might not know exactly what we're looking for, we know it will be worth the wait.
I believe this. I believe I will FEEL when it's right, and though it will take work, it will also be wonderful.
Until then, I'm content just being me.
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- 185th Annual General Conference talk...
- President Henry B. Eyring: 'The Comforter'
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- From log cabin to university, BYU-Idaho...
- Sister Bonnie L. Oscarson: 'Defenders of the...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 166
- Why I don’t call myself a... 92
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 63
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- General Women's Session focuses on... 17
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 16
- State bills to protect religious... 11
- Returning LDS missionary, father... 8