Utah football: Can the Utes put more points on the board this week?
“It’s something that this whole team needs to work through and we’ve got to make sure we stick together,” Wilson said. “I know we’ll get things corrected.”
Punter Tom Hackett agrees.
“Everyone’s in it together,” he said. “You go out on game day and you hope and pray that all three phases of the game are going to come together and you’re going to get the ‘W.’ ”
And now there’s a growing sense of urgency to secure the latter. Utah’s hopes for bowl eligibility weigh in the balance.
“That’s our No. 1 goal and the math gets easier and easier as the season goes on,” Whittingham said. “We’ve got to win two out of three, and that’s the long and short of it. So we’ve got our work cut out for us.”
It's a task made much easier, however, if things are clicking on offense — especially late in games.
“It’s just a matter of doing it consistently — week in and week out — and winning those close games,” Johnson said. “Just understanding the situations and handling our business in the fourth quarter and having a killer instinct and finishing people.”
EXTRA POINTS: Tight end Jake Murphy, who has been out with a broken wrist since Oct. 3, made the trip and is expected to play — barring any late decision by the medical staff preventing him from doing so . . . Linebacker Jared Norris and running back Kelvin York did not make trip because of undisclosed injuries . . . Oregon leads the all-time series with Utah by an 18-8 margin. The Ducks are expecting their 95th consecutive sellout at 54,000-seat Autzen Stadium. The Utes have lost seven straight road games to ranked opponents. The last win was a 20-17 decision at No. 19 BYU in 1999.
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU past...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert gets pushy with...
- BYU running back Adam Hine enjoying Miami...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 51
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 50
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 30
- Ute football team has boots on the... 28