Kenny Crookston, BYU
PROVO — Abraham Lincoln wasn't talking about an anemic college football offense when he said the famous words, "Four scores and seven years ago."
OK, he really began the Gettysburg Address 150 years ago by saying, "Four score and seven years ago," but educating Utahns about what he said and why it remains important is exactly the reason 60,000 college football fans will recite Lincoln's words in unison at halftime of the BYU-Idaho State game on Saturday at LaVell Edwards Stadium.
Kickoff is at 1 p.m.
Stan Ellsworth, host of BYUtv's history show "American Ride," will lead the recitation as part of GettyReady, a Utah-based public-service campaign to honor and celebrate the continued relevance of the speech to American democracy.
Ellsworth also will lead a recitation tonight at halftime of the BYU basketball game against Mount St. Mary's. The game starts at 7 p.m. at the Marriott Center.
During the games, BYUtv will premiere new video spots about the Gettysburg Address featuring players from both Cougar teams as well as from BYU President Cecil Samuelson.
Documentary film producer Ken Burns issued a challenge to Americans to learn and recite the 272-word Gettysburg address. The Learn the Address project also encourages people to submit video recordings of their recitations to its website, www.learntheaddress.org.
Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address on Nov. 19, 1863, after a Civil War battle that cost the lives of more than 10,000 Americans.
A new Burns/PBS documentary, "The Address," will air nationally April 15. The film is about the impact that learning the address had on students at a Vermont school for boys with learning disabilities.
Through GettyReady, a Utah high school classroom will be part of Tuesday's national live-stream event from the Soldiers’ National Cemetery at Gettysburg. The live stream begins at 7:30 a.m. MT and will be embedded on gettyready.org.
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- How new research on chemicals in household...
- 14-year-old boy is losing his sight but sees...
- Doug Robinson: Reuniting families — One...
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are...
- Dad tires of hearing hit 'Frozen' song,...
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- When Satan steals your motherhood 44
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see... 13
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Our love-hate... 12
- The rough road of single motherhood... 11
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are... 11
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 9
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation... 8
- Dad tires of hearing hit 'Frozen' song,... 7