Because of the problems the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) is having, it makes me realize the necessity of abiding by standards. The U.S. Constitution is a standard of highest importance to all of us and does not grant the federal government the right to deal in the lives of individuals. It protects us from the ignorant, ambitious and deceitful.
One of the major Founding Fathers, James Madison, stated in Federalist Paper No. 45, "The powers reserved to the several states will extend to all the objects which ... concern the lives, liberties and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State." Therefore, the federal government should deal only with inter-state, not intra-state, affairs.
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- School fees: Is Utah really family friendly?
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- Letter: Society puzzles
- 20 of the most influential and innovative...
- Equality in family life does not mean sameness
- Jay Evensen: Utahns support Common Core, even...
- Michael Gerson: State of Israel: History...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb:... 82
- Letter: Police brutality 62
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 48
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse... 43
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 42
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 39
- Constitutional commitments trump tribal... 35
- Letter: Society puzzles 32