In September of 2007, Somers filed a police report claiming there were two incidents of abuse in the three months following her mother’s death. In late May, she was asleep in her parents' bed when she woke to find her father fondling her and kissing her hand, charging documents state. He was supposed to have been sleeping on a couch.
Jumping from bed, Somers asked MacNeill what he was doing. “I’m sorry, I thought you were your mother,” he replied, according to the charges.
A similar incident allegedly occurred two months later during a family trip to California. Somers told police her father later apologized, but she feared her young sisters may not be safe in the home and sought legal custody of the four adopted girls.
During the custody fight, Somers recorded her telephone calls with MacNeill. In one exchange, MacNeill said he would let Somers have the girls if she agreed to sign a notarized statement denying that he had ever touched her inappropriately, court documents state. Somers refused, and in the ensuing argument MacNeill said he “was asleep when I did that,” the charges state.
In a police interview, MacNeill refused to answer questions, but upon hearing the allegations, he uttered: “A person can not be held accountable for their actions while they are asleep,” court papers say.
According to a separate police report, MacNeill told his daughters that “even though his wife is dead, he is still a sexual person and has desires that need to be met."
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex marriage
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 85
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 38
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 32
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 20
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 10
- Man accused in BYU gropings ordered to... 7