Man killed in auto collision with tree in Millcreek
shiyali, Getty Images/iStockphoto
MILLCREEK — Police were attempting Thursday to identify a man killed in an automobile crash.
Just before 11 a.m., a driver in a pickup truck heading east on 3900 South near 825 West veered off the side of the road for an unknown reason, jumped the curb, continued on the grass and crashed head-on into a tree, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal. The driver, a man estimated to be in his mid-50s, was pronounced dead at the scene.
There was no immediate evidence of drugs or alcohol being factors, Hoyal said. Detectives were working Thursday to confirm the man's identity.
Meanwhile, investigators now believe a crash Wednesday morning between a bicyclist and a 17-year-old female driver was the result of distracted driving.
The teen was either looking at scenery or something in the area, but Hoyal said her eyes were not on the road. When she started to veer off to the right, she overcorrected and hit a cyclist coming up the canyon, he said.
Joseph Sparto, 35, of Cottonwood Heights, was taken to the hospital in critical condition.
It was the second serious car-bicycle incident in Salt Lake County's canyons in three weeks due to distracted driving. On Oct. 24, 3rd District Judge Anthony B. Quinn, 60, was killed while riding his bike up Millcreek Canyon when he was hit head-on by a 78-year-old driver who allegedly became distracted by looking at fall colors.
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- Fear of pending apocalypse led to...
- Man accused in BYU gropings accepts diversion...
- LDS statement could move Utah...
- Attorneys want BYU track team testimony...
- 'I feel like I do deserve to be here,' Dea...
- LDS apostle Elder David A. Bednar offers...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 167
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 60
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 37
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 35
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 25
- LDS statement could move Utah... 25
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 24
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 20