Man killed in auto collision with tree in Millcreek
shiyali, Getty Images/iStockphoto
MILLCREEK — Police were attempting Thursday to identify a man killed in an automobile crash.
Just before 11 a.m., a driver in a pickup truck heading east on 3900 South near 825 West veered off the side of the road for an unknown reason, jumped the curb, continued on the grass and crashed head-on into a tree, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal. The driver, a man estimated to be in his mid-50s, was pronounced dead at the scene.
There was no immediate evidence of drugs or alcohol being factors, Hoyal said. Detectives were working Thursday to confirm the man's identity.
Meanwhile, investigators now believe a crash Wednesday morning between a bicyclist and a 17-year-old female driver was the result of distracted driving.
The teen was either looking at scenery or something in the area, but Hoyal said her eyes were not on the road. When she started to veer off to the right, she overcorrected and hit a cyclist coming up the canyon, he said.
Joseph Sparto, 35, of Cottonwood Heights, was taken to the hospital in critical condition.
It was the second serious car-bicycle incident in Salt Lake County's canyons in three weeks due to distracted driving. On Oct. 24, 3rd District Judge Anthony B. Quinn, 60, was killed while riding his bike up Millcreek Canyon when he was hit head-on by a 78-year-old driver who allegedly became distracted by looking at fall colors.
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Friends, family remember sister missionary...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- In this case, wild horses drag them together
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 30
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 12
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 10
- About Utah: Selling bikes the... 7