Man killed in auto collision with tree in Millcreek
shiyali, Getty Images/iStockphoto
MILLCREEK — Police were attempting Thursday to identify a man killed in an automobile crash.
Just before 11 a.m., a driver in a pickup truck heading east on 3900 South near 825 West veered off the side of the road for an unknown reason, jumped the curb, continued on the grass and crashed head-on into a tree, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal. The driver, a man estimated to be in his mid-50s, was pronounced dead at the scene.
There was no immediate evidence of drugs or alcohol being factors, Hoyal said. Detectives were working Thursday to confirm the man's identity.
Meanwhile, investigators now believe a crash Wednesday morning between a bicyclist and a 17-year-old female driver was the result of distracted driving.
The teen was either looking at scenery or something in the area, but Hoyal said her eyes were not on the road. When she started to veer off to the right, she overcorrected and hit a cyclist coming up the canyon, he said.
Joseph Sparto, 35, of Cottonwood Heights, was taken to the hospital in critical condition.
It was the second serious car-bicycle incident in Salt Lake County's canyons in three weeks due to distracted driving. On Oct. 24, 3rd District Judge Anthony B. Quinn, 60, was killed while riding his bike up Millcreek Canyon when he was hit head-on by a 78-year-old driver who allegedly became distracted by looking at fall colors.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Darrien's day: Controversy put aside as man...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence; 'I...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 86
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 39
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- New definition of homeless would give... 28
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 21
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20