Man killed in auto collision with tree in Millcreek
shiyali, Getty Images/iStockphoto
MILLCREEK — Police were attempting Thursday to identify a man killed in an automobile crash.
Just before 11 a.m., a driver in a pickup truck heading east on 3900 South near 825 West veered off the side of the road for an unknown reason, jumped the curb, continued on the grass and crashed head-on into a tree, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal. The driver, a man estimated to be in his mid-50s, was pronounced dead at the scene.
There was no immediate evidence of drugs or alcohol being factors, Hoyal said. Detectives were working Thursday to confirm the man's identity.
Meanwhile, investigators now believe a crash Wednesday morning between a bicyclist and a 17-year-old female driver was the result of distracted driving.
The teen was either looking at scenery or something in the area, but Hoyal said her eyes were not on the road. When she started to veer off to the right, she overcorrected and hit a cyclist coming up the canyon, he said.
Joseph Sparto, 35, of Cottonwood Heights, was taken to the hospital in critical condition.
It was the second serious car-bicycle incident in Salt Lake County's canyons in three weeks due to distracted driving. On Oct. 24, 3rd District Judge Anthony B. Quinn, 60, was killed while riding his bike up Millcreek Canyon when he was hit head-on by a 78-year-old driver who allegedly became distracted by looking at fall colors.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Love not attending Salt Lake City Rotary Club...
- Rock climber falls to his death at Zion...
- Friend says wrong-way driver 'wasn't in his...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 79
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 58
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12