PROVO — A 20-year-old woman sustained critical head injuries and died after she fell from Bridal Veil Falls on Wednesday.
The woman, who was originally identified as a man, fell from the upper falls to the lower falls in Provo Canyon about 5:30 p.m., and emergency crews struggled to reach her, Utah County Sheriff's Lt. Yvette Rice said. A medical team capable of providing on-scene first aid got to the woman shortly after 6:45 p.m.
Meanwhile, another woman who was with the victim relayed information to officers, Rice said.
A medical helicopter responded to the scene, but rescuers were unable to safely hoist the woman from the canyon, Rice said.
They remained in the canyon as of press time.
Officials believe the woman was hiking, but they didn't know Wednesday night what caused her to fall. Her name was not immediately released.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Weber County deputies investigating possible...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue atop...
- Man rams truck into police station, assaults...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 34
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 30
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 13
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12