PROVO — A 20-year-old woman sustained critical head injuries and died after she fell from Bridal Veil Falls on Wednesday.
The woman, who was originally identified as a man, fell from the upper falls to the lower falls in Provo Canyon about 5:30 p.m., and emergency crews struggled to reach her, Utah County Sheriff's Lt. Yvette Rice said. A medical team capable of providing on-scene first aid got to the woman shortly after 6:45 p.m.
Meanwhile, another woman who was with the victim relayed information to officers, Rice said.
A medical helicopter responded to the scene, but rescuers were unable to safely hoist the woman from the canyon, Rice said.
They remained in the canyon as of press time.
Officials believe the woman was hiking, but they didn't know Wednesday night what caused her to fall. Her name was not immediately released.
- Carbon County deputy saves father, son from...
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- Sugar House man intends to sue police, city...
- Fire rips through Orem structure under...
- Grading Utah schools, 2014: Top 20 highest...
- Woman killed in Sandy shooting
- Police: Vernal woman arrested with car full...
- Regulators, groups eye EPA rule on coal ash
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 51
- Prison relocation sites down to four as... 50
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 33
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 33
- Popular Utah County water recreation... 21
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utahns favor Count My Vote and SB54,... 15