PROVO — A 20-year-old woman sustained critical head injuries and died after she fell from Bridal Veil Falls on Wednesday.
The woman, who was originally identified as a man, fell from the upper falls to the lower falls in Provo Canyon about 5:30 p.m., and emergency crews struggled to reach her, Utah County Sheriff's Lt. Yvette Rice said. A medical team capable of providing on-scene first aid got to the woman shortly after 6:45 p.m.
Meanwhile, another woman who was with the victim relayed information to officers, Rice said.
A medical helicopter responded to the scene, but rescuers were unable to safely hoist the woman from the canyon, Rice said.
They remained in the canyon as of press time.
Officials believe the woman was hiking, but they didn't know Wednesday night what caused her to fall. Her name was not immediately released.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Prosecutors 'stand down' and drop criminal...
- Screaming, shouting and Utah's in the middle...
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Fire destroys Taylorsville home, damages another
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Screaming, shouting and Utah's in the... 64
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 29
- Prosecutors 'stand down' and drop... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16