Colleagues, fans share condolences via Twitter following news of Todd Christensen's passing
Photography by: Mark Philbrick/B, Mark Philbrick/BYU
Numerous people turned to Twitter to share their condolences and memories after former BYU great and Oakland/L.A. Raiders tight end Todd Christensen passed away, due to complications from surgery.
He was 57.
Christensen was a first-team All-WAC honoree his senior season at BYU, playing from 1974-77 for the Cougars. He finished with 2,655 all-purpose yards and 20 touchdowns while playing fullback for BYU.
Originally a second-round draft pick by the Dallas Cowboys in 1978, he spent the final 10 years of his 11-year NFL career with the Raiders organization. He switched to tight end, and during his time with the Raiders, Christensen won two Super Bowl rings and played in five Pro Bowls. He also had 5,872 receiving yards and 41 touchdowns.
Here is a look at what some people said about Christensen via the social media site:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- BYU coach Shawn Olmstead provided calming...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 24