BYU football: Todd Christensen's career highlights includes two Super Bowl rings, induction into BYU's Hall of Fame
Born in Bellefonte, Penn., Todd Christensen grew up in Eugene, Ore. A star track and field athlete and football player in high school, Christensen was inducted into the Oregon Sports Hall of Fame in 2000.
After high school, he enrolled at BYU, where he was a four-year starter at running back (1974-77). He was named to the All-Western Athletic Conference team in 1977. As a Cougar, he caught 152 passes for 1,568 yards and 15 touchdowns. In 1992, he was inducted into BYU's Hall of Fame.
Christensen was drafted in the second round by the Dallas Cowboys in 1978. Later, he was signed by the Oakland Raiders and became a star tight end. His breakout season came in 1982, when he caught 42 passes for 510 yards and four touchdowns. The following season, Christensen hauled in 92 passes for 1,247 yards and 12 touchdowns. He was a five-time Pro Bowl selection (1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987) and won a pair of Super Bowl rings with the Raiders.
Following his pro football career, Christensen became a sportscaster, co-hosting American Gladiators and appearing on other television shows. Christensen worked at NBC as an NFL and college football color commentator from 1990-1994. He was also a broadcaster for ESPN and the Mountain West Sports Network.
Christensen's son, Toby, was a BYU wide receiver from 2000-2003.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs the...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45