USU basketball report card: Aggies easily handle in-state rival Southern Utah
Eli Lucero, AP
LOGAN — It’s not every year that Utah State's basketball team hosts an in-state opponent in the Spectrum. The SUU Thunderbirds made the trip up north to take on the Aggies, hoping to become the first in-state team to beat the Aggies in Logan since BYU in 2000.
The Aggies started the game off hot with a 3-pointer from senior point guard TeNale Roland, and from that point on the SUU T-Birds were playing catch up for the rest of the game. The Aggies were able to maintain their lead with a dominant performance by senior center Jarred Shaw, who had his first double-double of the season with 24 points and 10 rebounds. USU thumped the T-Birds, 90-57.
Aggie sophomore forward Kyle Davis also contributed on the defensive end, where he had three blocks to cause problems for his former team. Davis, who played for Southern Utah his freshman year, transferred to Utah State after serving an LDS mission in Detroit.
SUU, only returning two seniors from its previous season, looked outmanned and outmuscled throughout the game. SUU senior center Jayson Cheesman got into foul trouble early and sat out most of the game, only playing 14 minutes. A bright spot for the T-Birds was the effort freshman guard Trey Kennedy made, leading his team with 11 points and 2 for 4 from beyond the arc.
USU, starting its season 2-0, heads to California Saturday, where it will take on UCSB, which might be the toughest opponent the Aggies have played thus far in the season. The Gauchos are coming off an 86-65 thumping when they took on Mountain West Conference powerhouse UNLV in Las Vegas.
The Thunderbirds came into the game after a season-opening victory over Arizona Christian. The Thunderbirds will take on California-Berkeley next Monday in California.
Follow Braden Clark on Twitter @bradyclark19
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- Doug Robinson: Utah Jazz have come full...
- No timeline set to find Utah Jazz's new head...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: Grading the Jazz's...
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star athletes...
- Deseret News 2014 NFL Mock Draft: Where are...
- Rock On: Lighten up, Gordon Hayward
- High school sports: Tuesday's roundup
- U. student government passes resolution... 105
- Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract... 56
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star... 41
- Doug Robinson: Utah Jazz have come full... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 26
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep... 24
- Speculation begins about who the next... 24
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 19