USU basketball report card: Aggies easily handle in-state rival Southern Utah
Eli Lucero, AP
LOGAN — It’s not every year that Utah State's basketball team hosts an in-state opponent in the Spectrum. The SUU Thunderbirds made the trip up north to take on the Aggies, hoping to become the first in-state team to beat the Aggies in Logan since BYU in 2000.
The Aggies started the game off hot with a 3-pointer from senior point guard TeNale Roland, and from that point on the SUU T-Birds were playing catch up for the rest of the game. The Aggies were able to maintain their lead with a dominant performance by senior center Jarred Shaw, who had his first double-double of the season with 24 points and 10 rebounds. USU thumped the T-Birds, 90-57.
Aggie sophomore forward Kyle Davis also contributed on the defensive end, where he had three blocks to cause problems for his former team. Davis, who played for Southern Utah his freshman year, transferred to Utah State after serving an LDS mission in Detroit.
SUU, only returning two seniors from its previous season, looked outmanned and outmuscled throughout the game. SUU senior center Jayson Cheesman got into foul trouble early and sat out most of the game, only playing 14 minutes. A bright spot for the T-Birds was the effort freshman guard Trey Kennedy made, leading his team with 11 points and 2 for 4 from beyond the arc.
USU, starting its season 2-0, heads to California Saturday, where it will take on UCSB, which might be the toughest opponent the Aggies have played thus far in the season. The Gauchos are coming off an 86-65 thumping when they took on Mountain West Conference powerhouse UNLV in Las Vegas.
The Thunderbirds came into the game after a season-opening victory over Arizona Christian. The Thunderbirds will take on California-Berkeley next Monday in California.
Follow Braden Clark on Twitter @bradyclark19
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 78
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 29
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14