Mormon families among Filipinos helping their neighbors
'Harrowing' scenes behind them, Mormon missionaries evacuate Tacloban
After breaking the window, the two women climbed to the roof.
"The most harrowing (sight) was when I saw women and children piled under tarpaulin," Guy reported, "and when I saw dogs skewered on gates, cars thrown into buildings, people trying to find something to eat, water to drink."
The ABC News video described Guy only as "an American teen" but showed at least 15 missionaries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints wearing their missionary badges and lining up to board a U.S. military C-130 cargo on Tuesday, which was Monday night in the United States.
Many of the missionaries first went to Cebu City, where they were hosted overnight by Cebu Mission President Evan Schmutz of Orem, then arrived at the Manila Missionary Training Center the next day, according an LDS Church Facebook page.
Guy was among the missionaries who reached the Manila MTC, where they were greeted by Elder Brent H. Nielson, LDS Philippines Area president, on Tuesday night. They received a brief orientation in the MTC gym before they were provided with food and opportunities to call their parents, bathe and change into clean clothes.
The Patalinghugs' 3-year-old daughter, Danielle, might not remember the 2013 disasters she lived through, but her parents will never forget one of her prayers after the earthquake nor the image of her camped out under a table in their LDS meetinghouse during the typhoon.
"Heavenly Father," Danielle prayed a few days after the temblor in October, "I thank thee that there are no more earthquakes because I feel bad for mama, who ran out of the house without slippers."
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- Observers uncertain about the impact of...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 70
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 58
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 50
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 39
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 39
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 26
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- What would Jesus buy? New website helps... 14