Utah football: Kyle Whittingham says Utes have right mentality heading into Oregon game
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah’s preparations for Saturday’s game at No. 6 Oregon are going well, according to head coach Kyle Whittingham. He noted that the team has a great attitude.
“As tough as things have been and as disappointing as things have been, they’re coming out here with the right mentality and today was an excellent day,” Whittingham said after Tuesday’s practice.
The Utes (4-5, 1-5), he explained, still have a lot to play for.
“We’re trying to get to a bowl game and that really right now is our No. 1 objective,” Whittingham said. “That’s something that everyone on this football team wants to do for the seniors.”
BACK ON THE FIELD: Injured tight end Jake Murphy, who is out with a broken wrist, was cleared to do some limited things in practice — but no live work. “It was great to have him out here,” Whittingham said. “He gives us a boost just with his personality.”
Murphy hasn’t played since the UCLA game on Oct. 3 and is expected to be sidelined for the rest of the regular season.
KICKING IT: Utah sophomore Tom Hackett, who leads the Pac-12 in punting with 44.3 yards per kick, had a career-long 70-yard punt in the Arizona State game.
“When I go out to punt the football I put a lot of pressure on myself to execute,” he said. “I just stroked it and got a nice roll off of it. I looked up and it went a little farther than what I’ve normally been doing. So it was just nice to get the result.”
EXTRA POINTS: The Utes practiced at Rice-Eccles Stadium on Tuesday. They normally practice there on Thursdays but switched days this week because of the high school playoffs. ... To prepare for Autzen Stadium, Utah is practicing with crowd noise blaring this week, particularly for the offense and special teams . . . Wide receiver Dres Anderson leads the Pac-12 with 20.1 yard per receptions. Defensive end Trevor Reilly is tied for first in fumbles recovered with three.
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Injury-riddled BYU set to host WCC powerhouse...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 74
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 60
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52