When Linda Leckman began her general surgery program in 1977, she realized that not many of her predominantly male colleagues took her seriously because she was a woman. She felt the need to prove herself.
Leckman embraced the challenge. In fact, she lives by the philosophy that challenges are opportunities and that "it's good to challenge your brain," she said.
Leckman is now the vice president of Intermountain Healthcare and CEO of Intermountain Medical Group.
"I think one of the things that's important is to have a passion for what you do," she said.
Leckman received the 2013 ATHENA Award, a national award sponsored by Wells Fargo Women's Financial Services. The award is given to a member of the Salt Lake Chamber who is successful in her profession, serves in the community and helps other women find leadership success.
Pathfinder honorees were also recognized at the conference. These women support women and work toward women's progress and recognition. Honorees were Jennifer Danielson, president of Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Utah; Jennifer Godfrey, health and family partnership manager of Salt Lake CAP Head Start; Mary Kay Griffin, managing director of CBIZ, an accounting and business consulting firm, and shareholder in sister company MHM; and Susan Mayo, regional director of Wells Fargo Private Bank.
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations against...
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Parties have now finalized arguments in...
- Why Syracuse mom killed her 2 daughters still...
- Looking for the perfect Pi Day pie? Here are...
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough discovery on...
- Body found near Big Cottonwood Canyon
- Utah recognition of same-sex marriage... 72
- British judge hears arguments in case... 42
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 41
- Parties have now finalized arguments in... 38
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash... 35
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations... 34
- House report: John Swallow hung 'for... 32
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough... 29