Utah Utes basketball: Versatile Wright is a "stat sheet stuffer" for the Utes
He grew up in southern California, playing at Leuzinger High in Lawndale. He wasn’t anything special in high school, averaging just 9.3 points and wasn’t recruited by major colleges. He went to a year of prep school and then landed at City College of San Francisco, where he kept improving.
At CCSF, Wright helped lead his team to a 27-3 record and of course led his team in nearly every category, including assists, steals and blocks.
He was recruited by the likes of Washington, Washington State, Saint Mary’s and Gonzaga, but chose Utah in large part because of former Ute player Jarred DuBois, who he knew well.
Adam D’Acquisto, an assistant coach told the school newspaper, The Guardsman, of Wright, saying “He’s a pro. He has a better feel for the game than anyone we’ve ever had.’’
Wright’s older brother actually is a pro — Dorrell Wright, who is in his ninth year in the NBA and currently plays for the Portland Trail Blazers.
Delon (prounced De-LAWN) says he talks to his brother a couple of times a week and always on game days, but that he doesn’t give him specific tips.
“He tells me to work hard every day and try my best,'' he says. "He tells me to always stay aggressive.’’
X X X
For Wright, it’s a matter of continuing to get better every day. He has shown the talent to be a very good basketball player and combined with his unselfish attitude, he has a chance to make a big impact in his two years at Utah.
As the competition gets more dificult, Wright isn’t likely to match the numbers he did last Friday and he’ll certainly return to earth with more normal numbers on the stat sheet.
Whatever he does on the court — and he does nearly everything — Wright will likely be a big asset to Utah’s basketball fortunes this year, whether he leads the team in any particular category or not.
“He’s just a real solid basketball player,’’ says Krystkowiak. “We’re happy to have him.’’
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26