PROVO — Provo police have arrested a Payson man in connection with a string of thefts at office buildings in Utah County.
Fred Leon Barney, 56, was booked into the Utah County Jail for investigation of burglary, theft, burglary of a business, possession of a stolen credit card and possession of a controlled substance.
Barney was arrested in Spanish Fork after police officers recognized the blue older model suspect vehicle at a gas station from a KSL-TV report Monday, said Provo police detective Chris Chambers.
The man was attempting to use a stolen credit card at the time, Chambers said. Drug paraphernalia was observed "in plain sight" in the vehicle and heroin was confiscated from him, a police affidavit states.
Police circulated surveillance photos and videos of the man in hopes of tracking him down. Detectives said he is suspected in thefts dating back to 2010, including at least six within the past month in Provo, Orem and Lindon.
The man appeared to prefer doctor’s offices and law offices, and would calmly stroll through the offices and search for wallets, purses and other valuables, Chambers said.
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Shots fired after fight at high school in...
- Utah's expanding Hispanic business at center...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Creativity of ALS ice bucket challenge boosts...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 166
- Bingham High students walk out over... 93
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 87
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 27
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18