PROVO — Provo police have arrested a Payson man in connection with a string of thefts at office buildings in Utah County.
Fred Leon Barney, 56, was booked into the Utah County Jail for investigation of burglary, theft, burglary of a business, possession of a stolen credit card and possession of a controlled substance.
Barney was arrested in Spanish Fork after police officers recognized the blue older model suspect vehicle at a gas station from a KSL-TV report Monday, said Provo police detective Chris Chambers.
The man was attempting to use a stolen credit card at the time, Chambers said. Drug paraphernalia was observed "in plain sight" in the vehicle and heroin was confiscated from him, a police affidavit states.
Police circulated surveillance photos and videos of the man in hopes of tracking him down. Detectives said he is suspected in thefts dating back to 2010, including at least six within the past month in Provo, Orem and Lindon.
The man appeared to prefer doctor’s offices and law offices, and would calmly stroll through the offices and search for wallets, purses and other valuables, Chambers said.
- Women innovators leading by example
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- Pleasant Grove homeowner shoot, kills man in...
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Hiker pulled from Bell Canyon after fall
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- Murder trial focuses on relationship between...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 38
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 16
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 14
- Jury convicts San Juan County... 12
- Attorney: Woman on trial in deputy's... 10
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake... 10
- Who should pay? City, developer,... 10