PROVO — Provo police have arrested a Payson man in connection with a string of thefts at office buildings in Utah County.
Fred Leon Barney, 56, was booked into the Utah County Jail for investigation of burglary, theft, burglary of a business, possession of a stolen credit card and possession of a controlled substance.
Barney was arrested in Spanish Fork after police officers recognized the blue older model suspect vehicle at a gas station from a KSL-TV report Monday, said Provo police detective Chris Chambers.
The man was attempting to use a stolen credit card at the time, Chambers said. Drug paraphernalia was observed "in plain sight" in the vehicle and heroin was confiscated from him, a police affidavit states.
Police circulated surveillance photos and videos of the man in hopes of tracking him down. Detectives said he is suspected in thefts dating back to 2010, including at least six within the past month in Provo, Orem and Lindon.
The man appeared to prefer doctor’s offices and law offices, and would calmly stroll through the offices and search for wallets, purses and other valuables, Chambers said.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- Three hurt when ATV explodes into flames as...
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 65
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 30
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18