PROVO — Provo police have arrested a Payson man in connection with a string of thefts at office buildings in Utah County.
Fred Leon Barney, 56, was booked into the Utah County Jail for investigation of burglary, theft, burglary of a business, possession of a stolen credit card and possession of a controlled substance.
Barney was arrested in Spanish Fork after police officers recognized the blue older model suspect vehicle at a gas station from a KSL-TV report Monday, said Provo police detective Chris Chambers.
The man was attempting to use a stolen credit card at the time, Chambers said. Drug paraphernalia was observed "in plain sight" in the vehicle and heroin was confiscated from him, a police affidavit states.
Police circulated surveillance photos and videos of the man in hopes of tracking him down. Detectives said he is suspected in thefts dating back to 2010, including at least six within the past month in Provo, Orem and Lindon.
The man appeared to prefer doctor’s offices and law offices, and would calmly stroll through the offices and search for wallets, purses and other valuables, Chambers said.
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Teen dies in suspected overdose in Farmington
- Photos: Thrill seekers take on stunt-filled 5K
- First prison relocation open house... 39
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 20
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 15
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 14
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 13