PROVO — Provo police have arrested a Payson man in connection with a string of thefts at office buildings in Utah County.
Fred Leon Barney, 56, was booked into the Utah County Jail for investigation of burglary, theft, burglary of a business, possession of a stolen credit card and possession of a controlled substance.
Barney was arrested in Spanish Fork after police officers recognized the blue older model suspect vehicle at a gas station from a KSL-TV report Monday, said Provo police detective Chris Chambers.
The man was attempting to use a stolen credit card at the time, Chambers said. Drug paraphernalia was observed "in plain sight" in the vehicle and heroin was confiscated from him, a police affidavit states.
Police circulated surveillance photos and videos of the man in hopes of tracking him down. Detectives said he is suspected in thefts dating back to 2010, including at least six within the past month in Provo, Orem and Lindon.
The man appeared to prefer doctor’s offices and law offices, and would calmly stroll through the offices and search for wallets, purses and other valuables, Chambers said.
- Hope in a crisis: School, community leaders...
- Can you name your U.S. Representative? See...
- UDOT announces road project schedule for 2015
- Eagle Mountain man killed in alleged domestic...
- Five sites now under consideration for new...
- Becky Lockhart remembered on Rare Disease Day...
- Officer in parade controversy speaks out on...
- Lehi supplement firm launches research lab
- Officer in parade controversy speaks... 263
- Gov. Herbert increases pressure on... 52
- Illinois professor could help Utah... 43
- House Speaker Greg Hughes kills hopes... 34
- Prophets and presidents: 11 noteworthy... 23
- Utah Senate rejects delay to Count My... 19
- Lawmakers consider academic turnaround... 17
- Some GOP House members disagree with... 16