Chester Baldicantos, Associated Press
Relief efforts have been a slow, but dedicated stream of volunteers have tried to sort through the debris to find victims of Typhoon Haiyan.
Now, America is turning to the web to mobilize support.
"To all our friends and family in the Philippines, our hearts and thoughts are with you — and we want to make sure you’re aware of the online resources," Tumblr's website reported.
Tumblr has organized donations to the World Food Program via text for the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom that will support the WFP's efforts to provide clean drinking water and food to typhoon victims.
According to the WFP website, the organization is "mobilizing quickly to reach those in need with high-energy biscuits — helping ensure families and children have nutritious food in these first few days of the emergency."
In addition to organizing text donations, Tumblr has also provided links to locate a loved one or request a rescue.
Other sources of relief in the Philippines include:
In addition to online efforts, news organizations such as Slate are making the plea for cash.
"Donate money — not teddy bears, not old shoes, not breast milk. Give money to organizations that have worked in the affected areas before the storm. They will be more likely to know and be able to navigate the local context and may be able to respond faster, as it won’t take them time to set up."
The writer gives a firsthand account of other disasters that saw superfluous donations that were more of a hinderance than a help, and calls for charitable individuals to consider the best methods to help.
"Americans are extremely charitable, and their generosity is recognized by people overseas time and time again. These impulses should be channeled to places that can do the most with the generosity. If you insist on giving something other than money, don’t assume you know what the needs are from afar," according to the article.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: emmiliewhitlock
- Police arrest man who posed as Mormon...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- By changing its name, ABC Family clarifies...
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes...
- Federal judge: Tribal court can't hear...
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit filed by...
- 'Harry Potter' e-books come to life in new...
- Pumpkin spice with a side of anxiety? How...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 58
- Workers removing Ten Commandments from... 49
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Mother-son bond over guns links Oregon,... 20
- 40 percent tax on employer insurance... 20
- Clinton pitches new gun controls... 15
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15