Utah Jazz: Jamaal Tinsley cut, D-League point guard Diante Garrett to be signed
SALT LAKE CITY — One Iowa State point guard is leaving the Utah Jazz and another former Cyclone will join the team soon.
Veteran playmaker Jamaal Tinsley has been cut by the Jazz less than three weeks after being re-signed to a non-guaranteed contract in the aftermath of rookie point guard Trey Burke's finger injury.
According to league sources, the vacant roster spot will be filled by Diante Garrett, the first D-League call-up of the season. The 25-year-old has been training with the Iowa Energy and played for the Bakersfield Jam last season.
Garrett was cut from Oklahoma City's fall camp a few days before the 2013-14 season began. The 6-4 point guard averaged 2.1 points and 1.6 assists in 19 NBA games with the Phoenix Suns in 2012-13.
Garrett is expected to be in Utah in time for Wednesday's home game against New Orleans, pending him passing a physical.
The 6-3 Tinsley started five games for the Jazz during their 0-8 start. He was sent back to the bench for Monday's 100-81 loss to Denver.
In eight games this year, the Brooklyn native and 10-year NBA veteran averaged just 1.1 points, 1.4 rebounds and 2.9 assists in 13.8 minutes. Tinsley was signed on Oct. 26.
Garrett has played in Croatia and France since completing his Iowa State career that spanned from 2007-11.
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- Virginia gearing up for big road test at No....
- Amy Donaldson: Domestic violence isn't a...
- Sports BLT video: Bronco Mendenhall provides...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 134
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 102
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 63
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 51
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 47