Utah Jazz: Jamaal Tinsley cut, D-League point guard Diante Garrett to be signed
SALT LAKE CITY — One Iowa State point guard is leaving the Utah Jazz and another former Cyclone will join the team soon.
Veteran playmaker Jamaal Tinsley has been cut by the Jazz less than three weeks after being re-signed to a non-guaranteed contract in the aftermath of rookie point guard Trey Burke's finger injury.
According to league sources, the vacant roster spot will be filled by Diante Garrett, the first D-League call-up of the season. The 25-year-old has been training with the Iowa Energy and played for the Bakersfield Jam last season.
Garrett was cut from Oklahoma City's fall camp a few days before the 2013-14 season began. The 6-4 point guard averaged 2.1 points and 1.6 assists in 19 NBA games with the Phoenix Suns in 2012-13.
Garrett is expected to be in Utah in time for Wednesday's home game against New Orleans, pending him passing a physical.
The 6-3 Tinsley started five games for the Jazz during their 0-8 start. He was sent back to the bench for Monday's 100-81 loss to Denver.
In eight games this year, the Brooklyn native and 10-year NBA veteran averaged just 1.1 points, 1.4 rebounds and 2.9 assists in 13.8 minutes. Tinsley was signed on Oct. 26.
Garrett has played in Croatia and France since completing his Iowa State career that spanned from 2007-11.
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Cougars take center stage...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at No. 3...
- 5A boys state tournament roundup: Layton...
- 3A boys state tournament roundup: Pine View...
- 4A boys state tournament roundup: Bountiful...
- High school boys basketball: Kearns marches...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in... 24
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 24