Utah Jazz: Jamaal Tinsley cut, D-League point guard Diante Garrett to be signed
SALT LAKE CITY — One Iowa State point guard is leaving the Utah Jazz and another former Cyclone will join the team soon.
Veteran playmaker Jamaal Tinsley has been cut by the Jazz less than three weeks after being re-signed to a non-guaranteed contract in the aftermath of rookie point guard Trey Burke's finger injury.
According to league sources, the vacant roster spot will be filled by Diante Garrett, the first D-League call-up of the season. The 25-year-old has been training with the Iowa Energy and played for the Bakersfield Jam last season.
Garrett was cut from Oklahoma City's fall camp a few days before the 2013-14 season began. The 6-4 point guard averaged 2.1 points and 1.6 assists in 19 NBA games with the Phoenix Suns in 2012-13.
Garrett is expected to be in Utah in time for Wednesday's home game against New Orleans, pending him passing a physical.
The 6-3 Tinsley started five games for the Jazz during their 0-8 start. He was sent back to the bench for Monday's 100-81 loss to Denver.
In eight games this year, the Brooklyn native and 10-year NBA veteran averaged just 1.1 points, 1.4 rebounds and 2.9 assists in 13.8 minutes. Tinsley was signed on Oct. 26.
Garrett has played in Croatia and France since completing his Iowa State career that spanned from 2007-11.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Deseret News Classic Marathon: Van de Camp,...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 95
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 78
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 53
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 44
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 29
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26