Utah Jazz: Jamaal Tinsley cut, D-League point guard Diante Garrett to be signed
SALT LAKE CITY — One Iowa State point guard is leaving the Utah Jazz and another former Cyclone will join the team soon.
Veteran playmaker Jamaal Tinsley has been cut by the Jazz less than three weeks after being re-signed to a non-guaranteed contract in the aftermath of rookie point guard Trey Burke's finger injury.
According to league sources, the vacant roster spot will be filled by Diante Garrett, the first D-League call-up of the season. The 25-year-old has been training with the Iowa Energy and played for the Bakersfield Jam last season.
Garrett was cut from Oklahoma City's fall camp a few days before the 2013-14 season began. The 6-4 point guard averaged 2.1 points and 1.6 assists in 19 NBA games with the Phoenix Suns in 2012-13.
Garrett is expected to be in Utah in time for Wednesday's home game against New Orleans, pending him passing a physical.
The 6-3 Tinsley started five games for the Jazz during their 0-8 start. He was sent back to the bench for Monday's 100-81 loss to Denver.
In eight games this year, the Brooklyn native and 10-year NBA veteran averaged just 1.1 points, 1.4 rebounds and 2.9 assists in 13.8 minutes. Tinsley was signed on Oct. 26.
Garrett has played in Croatia and France since completing his Iowa State career that spanned from 2007-11.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 65
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 40
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20