BYU basketball infographic: Fast-paced Cougars off to the quickest start in the last 5 years
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
BYU head coach Dave Rose is famous for his blazing run-and-gun offense, but the Cougars have taken it to a whole new level in the first two games of 2013.
Tyler Haws, Matt Carlino, Kyle Collinsworth and the BYU offense kept a blistering pace in the Cougars' 112-103 win at Maples Pavilion. BYU attempted 71 field goal attempts on the night and had 82 possessions, according to the Ken Pomery method. The Cougars also ran wild in their 81-72 win against Weber State with 72 field goal attempts and 76 possessions.
So, how does this start compare to recent years?
The closest comparison is the 2010-11 season. BYU averaged 86.6 points, 71 field goal attempts and 77.9 possesions per game through the first five games, and this included a double-overtime win over South Florida. Through two games this season, the Cougars average 96.5 points, 71.5 field goal attempts and 82.0 possesions per game.
Interestingly enough, the '10-'11 season was Jimmer Fredette's senior year. The Cougars advanced to the Sweet 16 for the first time since 1981 that year. Also, this is the first time BYU averaged more than 75 possessions per game since Fredette graduated.
It's too early to jump to conclusions — BYU has only played two games — but the data so far indicates that the Cougars' pace is absolutely blinding.
Lafe Peavler is a sportswriter intern at the Deseret News.
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- BYU vs. Virginia primer
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 64
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 45
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34