BYU basketball infographic: Fast-paced Cougars off to the quickest start in the last 5 years
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
BYU head coach Dave Rose is famous for his blazing run-and-gun offense, but the Cougars have taken it to a whole new level in the first two games of 2013.
Tyler Haws, Matt Carlino, Kyle Collinsworth and the BYU offense kept a blistering pace in the Cougars' 112-103 win at Maples Pavilion. BYU attempted 71 field goal attempts on the night and had 82 possessions, according to the Ken Pomery method. The Cougars also ran wild in their 81-72 win against Weber State with 72 field goal attempts and 76 possessions.
So, how does this start compare to recent years?
The closest comparison is the 2010-11 season. BYU averaged 86.6 points, 71 field goal attempts and 77.9 possesions per game through the first five games, and this included a double-overtime win over South Florida. Through two games this season, the Cougars average 96.5 points, 71.5 field goal attempts and 82.0 possesions per game.
Interestingly enough, the '10-'11 season was Jimmer Fredette's senior year. The Cougars advanced to the Sweet 16 for the first time since 1981 that year. Also, this is the first time BYU averaged more than 75 possessions per game since Fredette graduated.
It's too early to jump to conclusions — BYU has only played two games — but the data so far indicates that the Cougars' pace is absolutely blinding.
Lafe Peavler is a sportswriter intern at the Deseret News.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- High school football: Hunter Wolverines 2015...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 113
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 28
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 21