BYU basketball infographic: Fast-paced Cougars off to the quickest start in the last 5 years
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
BYU head coach Dave Rose is famous for his blazing run-and-gun offense, but the Cougars have taken it to a whole new level in the first two games of 2013.
Tyler Haws, Matt Carlino, Kyle Collinsworth and the BYU offense kept a blistering pace in the Cougars' 112-103 win at Maples Pavilion. BYU attempted 71 field goal attempts on the night and had 82 possessions, according to the Ken Pomery method. The Cougars also ran wild in their 81-72 win against Weber State with 72 field goal attempts and 76 possessions.
So, how does this start compare to recent years?
The closest comparison is the 2010-11 season. BYU averaged 86.6 points, 71 field goal attempts and 77.9 possesions per game through the first five games, and this included a double-overtime win over South Florida. Through two games this season, the Cougars average 96.5 points, 71.5 field goal attempts and 82.0 possesions per game.
Interestingly enough, the '10-'11 season was Jimmer Fredette's senior year. The Cougars advanced to the Sweet 16 for the first time since 1981 that year. Also, this is the first time BYU averaged more than 75 possessions per game since Fredette graduated.
It's too early to jump to conclusions — BYU has only played two games — but the data so far indicates that the Cougars' pace is absolutely blinding.
Lafe Peavler is a sportswriter intern at the Deseret News.
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 63
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22