SANDY — A Jordan High family and consumer sciences teacher was recently named Teacher of the Year.
Natalie Hancock received the award from the Utah Association of Family and Consumer Sciences. The organization recognized her for infusing her curriculum with education technology, math and science — even social media platforms — to help kids make connections between her classes, math, science and the real world.
The association is a statewide professional organization for K-12 family and consumer science teachers and educators at Utah State University extensions.
"It's a very big honor for me just to be recognized among my peers," said Hancock, who is in her sixth year of teaching. "It makes me strive to work even harder to make my classroom and teaching even better for students, so they have a desire to come to school, gain more knowledge and further their education to be college- and career-ready."
Hancock started her teaching career six years ago at Eastmont Middle School. While there, she received the 2011 New CTE Teacher Award from the Utah Association of Teachers of Family & Consumer Sciences, a division of the Utah Association of Career & Technical Education.
Hancock teaches family and consumer sciences, foods, and adult roles and financial literacy at Jordan High. She is a member of the association's board.
"Family and consumer sciences is an area not always taught at home necessarily, and when a student comes to school and makes all those connections with the core curriculum, and when I see the kids light up and realize education can be meaningful to them," Hancock said. "That's the reason I went into teaching."
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Deputies fish out 4 cars from Pineview Reservoir
- Chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia sufferers...
- 'They killed my son because he's black,'...
- 2 girls abducted in Bountiful escape in...
- Utah State Prison inmate dies following fight
- Friends, family, strangers gather at vigil...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 76
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 57
- Utah makes final plea for Supreme Court... 53
- Taylorsville teacher injured after her... 47
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 42
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 39
- Grand America to pay $2M fine for... 24
- Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain... 16