CEDAR CITY — The National Forest Service invites holiday enthusiasts to start a new tradition of cutting the family Christmas tree together in southern Utah’s Dixie National Forest.
Trees up to 10 feet can be purchased for $10 or $20 for trees above 10 feet.
“Receipts from this special forest program go back into a local fund that directly benefits recreation users on the Dixie National Forest,” said Joe Harris, public affairs officer for Dixie National Forest
Permits are available at all Dixie National Forest offices — St. George, Cedar City, Panguitch, and Escalante — and through partner vendors: Ace Hardware in Cedar City, Boulder Exchange in Boulder, Clarke’s Market in Tropic, Antimony Merc in Antimony, and Cottam’s Canyon Country in Escalante.
Also, Brian Head Tourism Bureau offers a few more suggestions for maximizing a trip into the woods and suggestions for enjoying the winter season.
“Taking in winter views and vistas at every turn is a natural benefit, yet there are various winter activities to take advantage of in the Dixie National Forest. Popular activities include cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and guided snowmobile excursions at the higher elevations,” said Bonnie Char Hallman, public relations specialist for Cedar City.
For suggestions on where to cut a tree, visit a Forest Service office or call 435-865-3700.
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Salt Lake's record-setting convention kicks...
- 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' cast...
- Salt Lake Marathon changes owners, course and...
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- Theater preview: Pioneer Theatre raises...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 106
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 88
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 73
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 25
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24