Man driving on suspended license caused 5-car accident, police say
Jared Van Orden
WEST JORDAN — A man driving on a suspended license because of alcohol violations is under investigation for allegedly causing a five-car accident on Redwood Road Tuesday.
About 6:30 a.m., a sedan traveling south on Redwood near 6800 South crossed over the center line into oncoming traffic for an unknown reason, said West Jordan Police Sgt. Dan Roberts.
"He clipped a red pickup truck, ripped off the driver's rear tire and that vehicle ended up on its side. (He) bounced off of that, and hit nearly head-on into a Jeep, and by now the vehicle is just spinning and bouncing off morning traffic," Roberts said.
The Jeep also ended up on its side. The spinning vehicle clipped two more cars before coming to a stop. Emergency crews had to cut open the pickup truck to extricate the driver.
The pickup driver and the driver of the vehicle believed to have caused the accident were sent to local hospitals by ambulance. Roberts said none of the injuries were believed to be life threatening.
Drug paraphernalia was found in the sedan, according to police. Detectives also got a search warrant to draw blood from the driver.
The 34-year-old man was driving on a suspended license and was possibly impaired during Tuesday's incident, Roberts said. The man was not immediately arrested pending the results of the toxicology tests, Roberts said. The case will be forwarded to the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office to be reviewed ed for possible charges.
A check of Utah state court records shows the man has an extensive criminal history, mainly drug and forgery related convictions, dating back to 1998.
Most recently, he was convicted in 2013 in two separate cases, one for felony drug possession and the other attempted possession of a stolen vehicle. The man was given a "zero tolerance probation" as part of those cases, according to the state courts docket.
Contributing: Whitney Evans
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- 'Our lives have been better for having her,'...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as national...
- Landslide remediation plans emerge amid...
- How do I know if I'm ovulating?
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 68
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 34
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 33
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 23
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 20
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 20