St. George police searching for masked gunman who shot Adult Probation and Parole agent
ST GEORGE — The search continued Tuesday for a masked gunman who shot an Adult Probation and Parole officer from Arizona.
About 6:20 a.m., St. George police responded to a call of shots fired in an office building in the 400 East block of the Tabernacle, according to St. George Police Sgt. Sam Despain. The building contains several offices, including some for the Mohave County, Ariz., Adult Probation and Parole.
Inside the building, an agent was shot in the upper leg. The gunman, who was wearing a white hockey mask, was described as about 6 feet tall and slim, wearing a black hoodie and black pants, Despain said.
After the shooting, the gunman ran out the door. It was unknown Tuesday if the man ran from the area or had a vehicle waiting nearby, Despain said.
The parole agent was taken to Dixie Regional Medical Center to be treated for injuries. Investigators were able to talk to him about what happened, but Despain said information from that conversation was not being released publicly yet.
Despain did not know if the shooting happened in the parole office or in another part of the building.
"We're trying to figure out what led to this encounter, why this agent had this encounter at 6:20 in the morning," Despain said.
Police searched the immediate area around the building but did not find anything. Anyone with information is asked to call police at 435-627-4301.
Contributing: Whitney Evans
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Report: Utah home to 'most impressive'...
- Traditions old and new celebrated as Temple...
- Local cowboys: A new foursome for the...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 26
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River... 6