BYU basketball: Cougars race past Stanford in high-scoring affair
Meanwhile, the Cougars heated up as Carlino made consecutive shots; Collinsworth hit a jumper; and reserve Winder sank a 3-pointer to put the Cougars up 21-13.
Randle, who had 16 first-half points, kept the Cardinal close, and it was a three-point game at 38-35 when the Cougars exploded with a 9-0 run in a 90-second span, sparked by freshman Mika, to make it 47-35 with 3:15 left in the half.
Powell came back with a pair of impressive dunks, and Gage hit a 3-pointer, but the Cougars answered with a 3-pointer by Winder, a jumper by Collinsworth and a 12-footer by Haws with 15 seconds left to make it 54-46 at the half.
BYU will play two games at home this weekend in the Basketball Experience Hall of Fame Classic against Mount St. Mary’s Friday night and Colorado Mesa on Saturday night, while Stanford plays Northwestern at home Thursday night.
GAME NOTES: Collinsworth led the way with nine assists as the Cougars had 23 on the night . . . Carlino had seven of BYU's 11 turnovers . . . BYU leads the all-time series with Stanford 5-2. Stanford won the most recent meeting 62-53 at the Maui Invitational in 2004 . . . As is the case with most West Coast games, BYU had a strong contingent of fans, who nearly filled the bleachers seats high behind each basket . . . The overall attendance was 5,994, although there were a lot of empty seats . . .The game was part of ESPN’s Tipoff Marathon: 16 games played consecutively over a 24-hour period on the ESPN networks, culminating with a matchup between No. 1 Kentucky and No. 2 Michigan State Tuesday night . . . Stanford made one of the quickest first baskets possible as Stefan Nastic tipped the ball toward Stanford’s basket, Powell grabbed it and sank a layup at the 19:56 mark, just four seconds into the game . . . Last Friday night, both teams opened the season with home victories — the Cougars 81-72 over Weber State and the Cardinal 72-68 win over Bucknell . . . One of the Stanford reserves is Elliott Bullock, a 6-10 junior from Olympus High School.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 110
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 34
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20