SALT LAKE CITY — Utah soccer will travel to No. 21 Texas A&M on Friday for the first round of the 2013 NCAA Division I Women’s College Cup.
The Utes, making their sixth appearance in the tournament but first since 2006, is one of six teams from the Pac-12 to earn a berth. Utah placed third in the conference this season, its highest finish since joining in 2011.
“We’re all floating on air,” head coach Rich Manning said. “The team has really worked hard for this. We came so close last season and just fell off at the end. It’s a nice reward for everyone, but our mindset this year has been one of ‘we’re not happy to be here, we want to contend.’”
The Utes have advanced to the second round of the College Cup twice, and if they are able to get past the No. 4-seeded Aggies, champions of the Southeastern Conference, they will face Minnesota or Texas Tech next weekend in Chapel Hill, N.C.
“We are stoked,” senior Allie Wisner said. “It has not sunk in yet, but we’ve all been excited for the last few days. I don’t want the season to end. This makes all the early-morning practices and sacrifices worth it. This team has shown so much fight.”
Utah is 4-7-1 all-time against opponents from the SEC. The Utes played to a scoreless draw at Kentucky during the first week of the season and will be looking for their first win against a SEC foe since 2003.
Texas A&M and the Utes have one common opponent from this season in Arizona State. The Aggies topped ASU back in August at Ellis Field, 3-1. The Utes dropped a 2-1 double-overtime contest to the Sun Devils two weeks ago in Tempe.
“Everyone has been all in since day one,” sophomore Lindsey Luke said. “We’ve progressed through the season knowing we can play with the best teams in the nation. This is something we’ve been working for, not just this year."
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week, moves up...
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes determined to...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead, game to...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 282
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 67
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 53
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 34
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31