USU football: Nevin Lawson named Mountain West Defensive Player of the Week
LOGAN – Utah State senior cornerback Nevin Lawson has been named the Mountain West’s Defensive Player of the Week for the second time this season following his performance at UNLV last weekend, as announced by the league office Monday.
Utah State has now earned four conference player of the week honors as sophomore linebacker Kyler Fackrell was named the Mountain West Defensive Player of the Week following the Hawai’i game, and sophomore wide receiver Bruce Natson was named the MW Special Teams Player of the Week following the New Mexico game, along with Lawson's two player of the week honors.
Lawson, a 5-foot-10, 186-pounder from Lauderhill, Fla. (Piper HS), recorded four tackles, including one for loss, to go along with two pass breakups and one interception in USU’s 28-24 win against UNLV. Lawson’s interception was in the end zone early in the third quarter with the Rebels leading 17-14, while his tackle for loss was on a fake field goal in the second quarter. He also posted both of his pass breakups inside USU’s 30 yard line on UNLV’s last drive of the game.
On the season, Lawson ranks second in the Mountain West and fourth in the nation with an average of 1.70 passes defended per game, and he is tied for fourth in the MW and tied for 37th in the nation with 0.40 interceptions per game. Lawson also ranks first on the team in interceptions (4) and passes defended (17), is sixth in total tackles (41) and tied for sixth in tackles for loss (4.0).
Utah State (6-4, 5-1 MW) has a bye this week and returns to action on Saturday, Nov. 23, when it hosts Colorado State (5-5, 3-2 MW) in a Mountain West game at 1:30 p.m. MT. The game will be televised nationally on the CBS Sports Network.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utah's Wright chooses a challenging path
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25