USU football: Nevin Lawson named Mountain West Defensive Player of the Week
LOGAN – Utah State senior cornerback Nevin Lawson has been named the Mountain West’s Defensive Player of the Week for the second time this season following his performance at UNLV last weekend, as announced by the league office Monday.
Utah State has now earned four conference player of the week honors as sophomore linebacker Kyler Fackrell was named the Mountain West Defensive Player of the Week following the Hawai’i game, and sophomore wide receiver Bruce Natson was named the MW Special Teams Player of the Week following the New Mexico game, along with Lawson's two player of the week honors.
Lawson, a 5-foot-10, 186-pounder from Lauderhill, Fla. (Piper HS), recorded four tackles, including one for loss, to go along with two pass breakups and one interception in USU’s 28-24 win against UNLV. Lawson’s interception was in the end zone early in the third quarter with the Rebels leading 17-14, while his tackle for loss was on a fake field goal in the second quarter. He also posted both of his pass breakups inside USU’s 30 yard line on UNLV’s last drive of the game.
On the season, Lawson ranks second in the Mountain West and fourth in the nation with an average of 1.70 passes defended per game, and he is tied for fourth in the MW and tied for 37th in the nation with 0.40 interceptions per game. Lawson also ranks first on the team in interceptions (4) and passes defended (17), is sixth in total tackles (41) and tied for sixth in tackles for loss (4.0).
Utah State (6-4, 5-1 MW) has a bye this week and returns to action on Saturday, Nov. 23, when it hosts Colorado State (5-5, 3-2 MW) in a Mountain West game at 1:30 p.m. MT. The game will be televised nationally on the CBS Sports Network.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 67
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 33
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28