Real Salt Lake vs. Portland report card: RSL wins leg 1 of Western Conference Finals
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Real Salt Lake played its third playoff game in seven days Sunday night after advancing to the MLS Western Conference Finals Thursday night on its same home pitch.
Thursday’s match left RSL banged up coming into Sunday night’s match, with leading scorer Alvaro Saborio out with a hip-flexer injury and Ned Grabavoy still on the bench after pulling his hamstring in the first leg semifinal match with Los Angeles.
Portland scored two bookend goals in Sunday night's matchup, but RSL took full advantage of its home field, scoring four goals to win the first leg of the Western Conference Finals, 4-2.
Chris Higbee is the general manager of DeseretNews.com and occasionally writes about Real Salt Lake.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 55
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 54
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48