Real Salt Lake vs. Portland report card: RSL wins leg 1 of Western Conference Finals
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Real Salt Lake played its third playoff game in seven days Sunday night after advancing to the MLS Western Conference Finals Thursday night on its same home pitch.
Thursday’s match left RSL banged up coming into Sunday night’s match, with leading scorer Alvaro Saborio out with a hip-flexer injury and Ned Grabavoy still on the bench after pulling his hamstring in the first leg semifinal match with Los Angeles.
Portland scored two bookend goals in Sunday night's matchup, but RSL took full advantage of its home field, scoring four goals to win the first leg of the Western Conference Finals, 4-2.
Chris Higbee is the general manager of DeseretNews.com and occasionally writes about Real Salt Lake.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16