Real Salt Lake vs. Portland report card: RSL wins leg 1 of Western Conference Finals
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Real Salt Lake played its third playoff game in seven days Sunday night after advancing to the MLS Western Conference Finals Thursday night on its same home pitch.
Thursday’s match left RSL banged up coming into Sunday night’s match, with leading scorer Alvaro Saborio out with a hip-flexer injury and Ned Grabavoy still on the bench after pulling his hamstring in the first leg semifinal match with Los Angeles.
Portland scored two bookend goals in Sunday night's matchup, but RSL took full advantage of its home field, scoring four goals to win the first leg of the Western Conference Finals, 4-2.
Chris Higbee is the general manager of DeseretNews.com and occasionally writes about Real Salt Lake.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 28
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22