Utah Utes football: Utes failed to finish against ASU, squandered 12-point lead
“We’re going to bounce back. That’s what we’re going to do,” Anderson said. “I don’t care who we’re playing. We’re going to play our hearts out no matter who we play. So we’re going to bounce back.”
These, though, are tough times for the Utes. They need two more wins to become bowl eligible. The season-ending schedule includes trips to Oregon and Washington and then a finale at home against Colorado.
“We just have to stick together as a family. We’re a family in that locker room and we just have to band together. If we want to have a good end to the season we’ve got to put this one behind us,” said Jason Whittingham. “Something bad happened today. But we’ve got to put it behind us and learn from it. Hopefully, just work as hard as we can this week and finish the season out right for those seniors.”
EXTRA POINTS: Wilson led the Utes with 44 yards rushing. Bubba Poole and Kelvin York finished with 43 and 39, respectively. Anderson had four catches for 100 yards. Sean Fitzgerald was the only other Ute to make a reception. He had two for 21 yards. Both receivers scored touchdowns. Punter Tom Hackett had his career-best 70-yard punt in the third quarter. Andy Phillips made a 51-yard field goal in the second quarter, the longest kick of his career. Jason Whittingham had a career-high 14 tackles to lead the defense. The Utes sacked Kelly six times. Whittingham and Reilly topped the team with 2.5 tackles-for-loss. Wilson has now been intercepted 16 times this season, all in Pac-12 play. ESPN.com’s Mark Schlabach predicts Utah will face North Carolina in the AdvoCare V100 (Independence) Bowl in Shreveport, La., on Dec. 31.
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars held...
- BYU jumps into national spotlight after big...
- Holmoe assesses the state of the program as...
- Skyler Halford helps key BYU's late-season...
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- High school boys basketball: Manti stuns...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 102
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 84
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 76
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 64
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29