OGDEN — A man was taken into custody about 3 a.m. Sunday after a four-hour standoff with a SWAT team.
Officers were dispatched to 842 N. Dillon Drive just after 11 p.m. Saturday. The woman who called said her son, Kenneth Patrick Reed, 42, was threatening her and her husband with a gun and had fired a round inside the home, according to Ogden police.
Police say Reed was armed with a Mossberg .22 long rifle that looked like an assault rife, as well as a .54-caliber pistol.
When officers arrived, the couple fled the home and Reed barricaded himself in the basement for about four hours. Reed's parents said he fired shots at his father and threatened to use the gas line to blow up the house.
Officers tried numerous times to get Reed to drop his weapons and come out. He refused to comply, threatened to kill the officers, told the officers to kill him and approached the officers with his weapons out, police said.
Officers fired at Reed as they retreated to a safer location, but no one was shot during the exchange.
The Ogden Metro SWAT team was called to the scene, and the man still refused to come out. A K-9 unit went in, and officer Brian Peterson's dog, Joery, disarmed Reed, according to Ogden police spokesman John Harvey.
Reed was treated for a dog bite at the scene and the transported to McKay-Dee Hospital Center, Harvey said. He was then booked into Weber County Jail for investigation of multiple charges, including aggravated assault, aggravated kidnapping and assaulting a police officer.
Detectives from the Ogden Police Major Crimes Bureau are investigating the case.
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- Man injured in police shooting identified
- Missing 18-month-old Layton boy found...
- 'Teacherpreneur,' a new role in the world of...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Federal judge halts Herbert directive... 39
- New Medicaid expansion plan unveiled to... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19