TEMPE, Ariz. - Freshman Toby Miclat collected two wins in the second day of the Thunderbird Invitational on Saturday at Arizona State.
The freshman teamed up with sophomore Nicolette Tran en route to a solid win over Kansas State's Palma Juhasz and Iva Bago, 8-3.
In singles, Miclat advanced to the first-round consolation quarterfinals after beating California's Cecilia Estlander, 6-2, 3-1 (ret.). Morgan Anderson also topped her opponent in the quarterfinals, holding on for the three-set victory over Joanna Smith of Arizona State, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1.
In the second round singles consolation bracket, Mayci Jones suffered a narrow defeat to Amy Zhu of Michigan. After losing the first set 7-6 (9), she answered with a 6-1 win in the second. She could not hold off Zhu in the third, losing 6-4.
Tran came out strong in her match, taking the first set against Laura Ucross also of Michigan, 7-6 (5), before losing the next two sets, 6-3, 6-4. Junior Meghan Sheehan-Dizon lost to Desirae Krawczyk of Arizona State, 7-6, 6-2.
The Thunderbird Invitational concludes the fall portion of the season for the Cougars.
BYU women's tennis opens the regular season on the road against Tulsa at 9:30 a.m. CST on Jan. 18, 2014, in Tulsa, Okla.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at email@example.com
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- BYU basketball: Cougars shake up starting...
- BYU holds on for 78-74 win over San Francisco
- BYU basketball analysis: Cougars' big men...
- Austin Collie signs with CFL's BC Lions,...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 74
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34
- Peavler: BYU's recent basketball... 19
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies... 19
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain... 18