TEMPE, Ariz. - Freshman Toby Miclat collected two wins in the second day of the Thunderbird Invitational on Saturday at Arizona State.
The freshman teamed up with sophomore Nicolette Tran en route to a solid win over Kansas State's Palma Juhasz and Iva Bago, 8-3.
In singles, Miclat advanced to the first-round consolation quarterfinals after beating California's Cecilia Estlander, 6-2, 3-1 (ret.). Morgan Anderson also topped her opponent in the quarterfinals, holding on for the three-set victory over Joanna Smith of Arizona State, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1.
In the second round singles consolation bracket, Mayci Jones suffered a narrow defeat to Amy Zhu of Michigan. After losing the first set 7-6 (9), she answered with a 6-1 win in the second. She could not hold off Zhu in the third, losing 6-4.
Tran came out strong in her match, taking the first set against Laura Ucross also of Michigan, 7-6 (5), before losing the next two sets, 6-3, 6-4. Junior Meghan Sheehan-Dizon lost to Desirae Krawczyk of Arizona State, 7-6, 6-2.
The Thunderbird Invitational concludes the fall portion of the season for the Cougars.
BYU women's tennis opens the regular season on the road against Tulsa at 9:30 a.m. CST on Jan. 18, 2014, in Tulsa, Okla.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at email@example.com
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will...
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real possibility...
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU fans...
- Rock On: BYU soccer star gone, not forgotten
- Reports: Former BYU star Brett Keisel agrees...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- BYU football: Senior Craig Bills anchors...
- BYU camp report: Taysom Hill throws a pair of...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 131
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 70
- ESPN lists BYU and Utah State as... 64
- Dick Harmon: Will Utah State, BYU be... 46
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 44
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 40
- BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's D-line deeper than... 16