TEMPE, Ariz. - Freshman Toby Miclat collected two wins in the second day of the Thunderbird Invitational on Saturday at Arizona State.
The freshman teamed up with sophomore Nicolette Tran en route to a solid win over Kansas State's Palma Juhasz and Iva Bago, 8-3.
In singles, Miclat advanced to the first-round consolation quarterfinals after beating California's Cecilia Estlander, 6-2, 3-1 (ret.). Morgan Anderson also topped her opponent in the quarterfinals, holding on for the three-set victory over Joanna Smith of Arizona State, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1.
In the second round singles consolation bracket, Mayci Jones suffered a narrow defeat to Amy Zhu of Michigan. After losing the first set 7-6 (9), she answered with a 6-1 win in the second. She could not hold off Zhu in the third, losing 6-4.
Tran came out strong in her match, taking the first set against Laura Ucross also of Michigan, 7-6 (5), before losing the next two sets, 6-3, 6-4. Junior Meghan Sheehan-Dizon lost to Desirae Krawczyk of Arizona State, 7-6, 6-2.
The Thunderbird Invitational concludes the fall portion of the season for the Cougars.
BYU women's tennis opens the regular season on the road against Tulsa at 9:30 a.m. CST on Jan. 18, 2014, in Tulsa, Okla.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Sports BLT video: Bronco Mendenhall... 28
- Jim McMahon: 37 years later, former BYU... 28