TEMPE, Ariz. - Freshman Toby Miclat collected two wins in the second day of the Thunderbird Invitational on Saturday at Arizona State.
The freshman teamed up with sophomore Nicolette Tran en route to a solid win over Kansas State's Palma Juhasz and Iva Bago, 8-3.
In singles, Miclat advanced to the first-round consolation quarterfinals after beating California's Cecilia Estlander, 6-2, 3-1 (ret.). Morgan Anderson also topped her opponent in the quarterfinals, holding on for the three-set victory over Joanna Smith of Arizona State, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1.
In the second round singles consolation bracket, Mayci Jones suffered a narrow defeat to Amy Zhu of Michigan. After losing the first set 7-6 (9), she answered with a 6-1 win in the second. She could not hold off Zhu in the third, losing 6-4.
Tran came out strong in her match, taking the first set against Laura Ucross also of Michigan, 7-6 (5), before losing the next two sets, 6-3, 6-4. Junior Meghan Sheehan-Dizon lost to Desirae Krawczyk of Arizona State, 7-6, 6-2.
The Thunderbird Invitational concludes the fall portion of the season for the Cougars.
BYU women's tennis opens the regular season on the road against Tulsa at 9:30 a.m. CST on Jan. 18, 2014, in Tulsa, Okla.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at email@example.com
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- Hancock leads Penn State into final vs. BYU
- After last year's bowl loss, BYU seniors...
- Despite being new to the scene, BYU...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 61
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Miracle Bowl, 34 years later: I don't... 17
- Stewart has brought back an identity... 16
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU... 15