Mendenhall called that one “frustrating,” and offensive coordinator Robert Anae accepted the blame, calling it a mix-up in what he called for and failure to get the right people on the field to run it.
“You can’t have those kind of mistakes against this caliber of football team on the road,” said Hill.
“We need to execute at a high level. We had mistakes that killed drives, things like five-yard penalties. We can’t have that.”
Hill finished 19 of 41 and was sacked four times. He ran for a net 53 yards while Jamaal Williams gained 76 yards on 14 carries, a respectable average of 5.4 yards per carry.
But it didn’t lead to enough scoring drives.
“Obviously it was disappointing we didn’t win, but we came out and played hard and made a pretty good showing,” said Hill. “We were in that game and competed, but it came down to mistakes we had offensively and defensively, and we didn’t make enough plays. Opportunities were there, and we didn’t capitalize.”
Hoffman was a bright spot for Anae and Mendenhall. Facing man coverage, he continually made big plays and BYU’s only two touchdowns. Three times Wisconsin’s defender mugged him with the ball in the air. He caught one for a touchdown, his third hold-grab-tackle score of the season. The two other times, officials ruled the ball uncatchable as Hoffman had felonies committed on his person.
“It was a great opportunity to come here,” said senior Skyler Ridley. “It’s very disappointing we were in a good spot but couldn’t make enough plays.”
Saturday was a big stage but a slippery one for Mendenhall's squad.
This time, just like other times on the road against Florida State, TCU, Notre Dame and others, the Cougars found the footing very tough to handle.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders weigh in...
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball...
- Morning links: BYU gets a new commitment;...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- High school baseball: Walker leads Pleasant...
- High school boys soccer: Freshman lifts...
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak hires...
- 4A softball: Spanish Fork overwhelms region...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be... 119
- Mike Sorensen: Utah, BYU not getting a... 89
- Guest commentary: Want national... 66
- Utah Utes coaches tailor weekly... 54
- BYU's Taysom Hill, Utah's Devontae... 45
- Morning links: BYU has a shot to snap... 39
- Morning links: BYU gets a new... 31
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 26