Westminster soccer: Griffins beat Rocky for conference title and trip to nationals
BILLINGS, Mont. – The Westminster College women’s soccer team completed its run through the Unaffiliated Conference Tournament by defeating Rocky Mountain (Mont.), 1-0, to win the title and qualify for the NAIA National Championships for the second time in three seasons.
Westminster (11-7-2) used a first half goal from Jessica Harris and some stingy defense to win the title. Harris scored her seventh goal of the season in the 31st minute. Her second game-winner of the season came on Lexi Tucker’s sixth assist of the year.
The Griffins took 10 shots in the game, and they were able to get six of those on goal. Tucker and Nicole Carter finished with three shots apiece, while Sadie Young took two shots. They limited Rocky Mountain (13-5-2) to just three shots with two on goal.
Abi Yanke continued her dominance behind the tough Griffin defense with two saves to notch her eighth shutout of the season and fourth straight. Yanke didn’t allow a goal during the conference tournament and extended her consecutive minutes without allowing a goal to 396, while dropping her season goals-against-average to 0.52.
The opening round of the NAIA Women’s Soccer National Championships will be played on campus sites across the country on Nov. 23. The entire field, including Westminster’s opening round opponent and destination will be announced next week.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48