Every man and women should know how to protect themselves and others. This also means teaching every man, woman and child to shoot a gun. Growing up in a small town in Utah, everyone knew how to shoot a gun, whether it was just for hunting season or protecting our family against harmful situations.
I believe that a hunter safety course should be required in school. Everyone should know how to handle and operate a gun, even if they have no intention of owning one. In Utah, the age to take hunter safety is 12 years old. We should require this course in our schools starting in the sixth grade, and offer it in high school as well. Requiring a gun safety course for all citizens would produce more educated discourse around Second Amendment rights.
I also believe that if we teach our youth how to handle and operate a gun, crime will likely decrease. More specifically, I suspect that if all young women knew how to operate a gun, rape and abuse would decrease as well. At the very least, intelligent discourse would increase. And that is always a good thing.
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA fool you...
- In our opinion: After change to state pension...
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to end...
- Letter: Methane benefits
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 71
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 61
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 45
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 38
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 21