Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: How does Swallow's alleged deleting of records factor in investigation?
Pignanelli: I have long maintained that whoever Virginians and New Jerseyans (if that's what you call them) elect as governor means little. But this year could be different, and the GOP is stupid if they do not take note. A gregarious fiscal conservative with moderate social views is re-elected with a large margin in a blue state. Meanwhile, a swing state rejects an ultraconservative in favor of a business friendly Democrat with Clinton ties.
Webb: If Republicans want to save health care from Obamacare, win pro-growth tax reform, and get control of deficits and entitlement programs, they must take control of the U.S. Senate in 2014 and the presidency in 2016. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie showed how to do it. In a Democratic-leaning state, he won big among Republicans, won women by 15 points, took a majority of Hispanics and won 20 percent of the black vote. He pulled together a great coalition while remaining fiscally conservative and upholding Republican principles. Right-wingers will call him a RINO — and they will keep losing and losing and losing. Reminds me of a recent Wall Street Journal letter to the editor commenting on the government shutdown debacle. Referring to shutdown instigator Jim DeMint and the far right, the author wrote, “I flashed back to Charlie Brown’s lament after his team lost 184-0: ‘How can we lose when we’re so sincere.’ ”
Republican LaVarr Webb is a political consultant and lobbyist. Previously he was policy deputy to Gov. Mike Leavitt and Deseret News managing editor. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Democrat Frank Pignanelli is a Salt Lake attorney, lobbyist and political adviser. Pignanelli served 10 years in the Utah House of Representatives, six years as minority leader. His spouse, D’Arcy Dixon Pignanelli, is a state tax commissioner. Email: email@example.com.
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder than...
- Letter: Federal law violated
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Things are...
- About Utah: They go back to give back
- My view: Religious freedom is a barometer for...
- Drew Clark: About-face by Apple Music shows...
- Letter: ‘Correct’ beliefs
- In our opinion: To aid the 60 million global...
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- Letter: Religion in office 35
- Letter: ‘Correct’ beliefs 32
- Letter: Federal law violated 32
- Letter: Patriotism has not died 28
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 28
- Dan Liljenquist: Time to relegate the... 27
- My view: Everything you think you know... 22