BYU football: Cougars fall short at No. 21 Wisconsin, 27-17
“It is disappointing,” said BYU defensive lineman Eathyn Manumaleuna. “We had a great opportunity to showcase what we do and how we prepare. It slipped through our hands. There were a lot of mistakes on our part. I had a fair share of mistakes as well. But we fought to the end. We’re still a good team.”
Wisconsin running back James White scored all three of its touchdowns, including one on the Badgers’ first series of the first half, and another on their last possession of the first half.
White rushed 23 times for 147 yards and caught six passes for 47 yards.
Three plays after its famed “Jump Around” at the end of the third quarter, White scored again on a 14-yard run to put the game out of reach.
Meanwhile, the other half of Wisconsin’s rushing dynamic duo, Melvin Gordon, ran for 86 yards.
Mendenhall said he “was impressed” with White and Gordon, although he added, “I was frustrated they were able to run the ball the way they did.”
Badger quarterback Joel Stave completed 23-of-32 passes for 196 yards and one touchdown.
Now, the Cougars, who were close to jumping into the national rankings before Saturday’s setback, are only left with thoughts of what might have been.
“It is a goal to be in the top 25,” Anae said. “We had a chance to get closer to that. To be a good offensive team, you’ve got to do that on the road. That’s how you earn that spot. We came up short tonight.”
BYU hosts Idaho State next Saturday.
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Utah secures commitments from two of Utah...
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start employing...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now considers BYU...
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies report he...
- High school football: Riverton coach Mike...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 65
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 50
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 38
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 34