BYU football: Cougars fall short at No. 21 Wisconsin, 27-17
“It is disappointing,” said BYU defensive lineman Eathyn Manumaleuna. “We had a great opportunity to showcase what we do and how we prepare. It slipped through our hands. There were a lot of mistakes on our part. I had a fair share of mistakes as well. But we fought to the end. We’re still a good team.”
Wisconsin running back James White scored all three of its touchdowns, including one on the Badgers’ first series of the first half, and another on their last possession of the first half.
White rushed 23 times for 147 yards and caught six passes for 47 yards.
Three plays after its famed “Jump Around” at the end of the third quarter, White scored again on a 14-yard run to put the game out of reach.
Meanwhile, the other half of Wisconsin’s rushing dynamic duo, Melvin Gordon, ran for 86 yards.
Mendenhall said he “was impressed” with White and Gordon, although he added, “I was frustrated they were able to run the ball the way they did.”
Badger quarterback Joel Stave completed 23-of-32 passes for 196 yards and one touchdown.
Now, the Cougars, who were close to jumping into the national rankings before Saturday’s setback, are only left with thoughts of what might have been.
“It is a goal to be in the top 25,” Anae said. “We had a chance to get closer to that. To be a good offensive team, you’ve got to do that on the road. That’s how you earn that spot. We came up short tonight.”
BYU hosts Idaho State next Saturday.
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- NFL to interview Matthew, Peppers, Harrison...
- Items owned by gangster 'Whitey' Bulger to be...
- World doping watchdog shuts down Rio Olympic...
- AP source: Irving, Barnes finish US Olympic...
- Federer out to turn around frustrating season...
- With 1-0 loss to Colombia, US finishes 4th in...
- Ipsen, Hixon get Olympic 3-meter spots,...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 164
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 57
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 41
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 35
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 32
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 24
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19