BYU football: Cougars fall short at No. 21 Wisconsin, 27-17
“It is disappointing,” said BYU defensive lineman Eathyn Manumaleuna. “We had a great opportunity to showcase what we do and how we prepare. It slipped through our hands. There were a lot of mistakes on our part. I had a fair share of mistakes as well. But we fought to the end. We’re still a good team.”
Wisconsin running back James White scored all three of its touchdowns, including one on the Badgers’ first series of the first half, and another on their last possession of the first half.
White rushed 23 times for 147 yards and caught six passes for 47 yards.
Three plays after its famed “Jump Around” at the end of the third quarter, White scored again on a 14-yard run to put the game out of reach.
Meanwhile, the other half of Wisconsin’s rushing dynamic duo, Melvin Gordon, ran for 86 yards.
Mendenhall said he “was impressed” with White and Gordon, although he added, “I was frustrated they were able to run the ball the way they did.”
Badger quarterback Joel Stave completed 23-of-32 passes for 196 yards and one touchdown.
Now, the Cougars, who were close to jumping into the national rankings before Saturday’s setback, are only left with thoughts of what might have been.
“It is a goal to be in the top 25,” Anae said. “We had a chance to get closer to that. To be a good offensive team, you’ve got to do that on the road. That’s how you earn that spot. We came up short tonight.”
BYU hosts Idaho State next Saturday.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 82
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 67
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 54
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 29
- Pac-12 South: Bruins the favorite, but... 22