5A High school football: Mr. Football carries Jordan into semis with 62-42 win over Vikings
Matt Gade, Deseret News
In this playoff game between Jordan and Pleasant Grove high schools, there was plenty of action and scoring. Jordan came out on top, 62-42, keeping alive its presence in the semifinals as it has done the past three years.
Together, both teams scored a total of 104 points.
Besides the loss, Pleasant Grove also had another sad situation. Sophomore Jacob Doman suffered a broken wrist while defending a pass to senior wide receiver Mason Krueger. As he was walked off the field, teammates told coaches, "Doman's done, it looks nasty." After the game, head coach Les Hamilton said, "We started six sophomores this year, they all contributed big time and they give us hope for the future."
Pleasant Grove had 20 carries for 98 yards and 19 of 35 passing for 319 yards for a total offensive effort of 417 yards. Hamilton said, "I'm proud of our guys, our seniors have played awesome. They've come back late in the game when we needed them. I have no regrets. It's been a great, memorable year.
Jordan had 58 carries for 308 yards and 23 of 35 passing for 362 yards for a total 670 yards offense. Jordan's Mr. Football, junior quarterback Austin Kafentzis, rushed for five touchdowns, senior running back Clay Moss rushed for two touchdowns and seniors Krueger and Christian Shaver added one touchdown each. Krueger caught a seven-yard pass from Kafentzis for the score, and Shaver rushed one up the middle for a 12-yard score.
Jordan head coach Eric Kjar said, "We've had a few starters out because of sickness and an auto accident, but our practices have been good even without those players. Our backup players stepped up and filled in well." He continued, "Now we have to get ready for next week. We'll get the films and get started asap."
The next games will be on Nov. 15 and will have Jordan playing Brighton and Lone Peak playing Bingham. Both games will be played at Rice-Eccles Stadium. Jordan-Brighton will play at 2:30 p.m. and Lone Peak-Bingham will play at 6:30 p.m.
Kent Allen lives in Pleasant Grove and covers Pleasant Grove High School varsity sports for Deseret Connect.
- High school football: Corner Canyon's Branden...
- Gustin's aerial assault lifts Salem Hills to...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- High school sports: Saturday's roundup
- High school football: Herriman gashes...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- High school football: Rich Rebels dominate...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- High school football: Herriman gashes... 8
- High school football: Corner Canyon's... 7
- High school football: Jordan's Austin... 3
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5 2
- Girls soccer: Brighton Bengals bury the... 2
- High school football: Skyline's big... 2
- High school football: North Sanpete,... 1
- High School Volleyball: Panguitch,... 1