5A High school football: Mr. Football carries Jordan into semis with 62-42 win over Vikings
Matt Gade, Deseret News
In this playoff game between Jordan and Pleasant Grove high schools, there was plenty of action and scoring. Jordan came out on top, 62-42, keeping alive its presence in the semifinals as it has done the past three years.
Together, both teams scored a total of 104 points.
Besides the loss, Pleasant Grove also had another sad situation. Sophomore Jacob Doman suffered a broken wrist while defending a pass to senior wide receiver Mason Krueger. As he was walked off the field, teammates told coaches, "Doman's done, it looks nasty." After the game, head coach Les Hamilton said, "We started six sophomores this year, they all contributed big time and they give us hope for the future."
Pleasant Grove had 20 carries for 98 yards and 19 of 35 passing for 319 yards for a total offensive effort of 417 yards. Hamilton said, "I'm proud of our guys, our seniors have played awesome. They've come back late in the game when we needed them. I have no regrets. It's been a great, memorable year.
Jordan had 58 carries for 308 yards and 23 of 35 passing for 362 yards for a total 670 yards offense. Jordan's Mr. Football, junior quarterback Austin Kafentzis, rushed for five touchdowns, senior running back Clay Moss rushed for two touchdowns and seniors Krueger and Christian Shaver added one touchdown each. Krueger caught a seven-yard pass from Kafentzis for the score, and Shaver rushed one up the middle for a 12-yard score.
Jordan head coach Eric Kjar said, "We've had a few starters out because of sickness and an auto accident, but our practices have been good even without those players. Our backup players stepped up and filled in well." He continued, "Now we have to get ready for next week. We'll get the films and get started asap."
The next games will be on Nov. 15 and will have Jordan playing Brighton and Lone Peak playing Bingham. Both games will be played at Rice-Eccles Stadium. Jordan-Brighton will play at 2:30 p.m. and Lone Peak-Bingham will play at 6:30 p.m.
Kent Allen lives in Pleasant Grove and covers Pleasant Grove High School varsity sports for Deseret Connect.
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Players with local ties set to make big...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- High school football: Late 2-point...
- American Fork girls and boys cross-country...
- Salem Hills rolls past rival Payson 42-7
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs the...
- Big plays save Taylorsville as Warriors hold...
- High school football: No. 1 Bingham... 21
- Parry's power guide to Utah high school... 9
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school... 4
- Postseason success will not impact... 4
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig... 3
- High school football: Provo off to a... 1
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs... 1
- Corner Canyon holds off pesky... 1