Tom Smart, Deseret News
Utah has lost nine straight games to the Sun Devils dating back to 1976 and is just 6-18 overall. Seven losses came in the 17 years since the original “Star Wars” was released, along with two more in the seasons since the Utes joined the Pac-12. Six of the losses have been by 21 points or more. Six of those nine matchups were in Tempe, but at Rice-Eccles Stadium, Utah still lost 47-19 (1977) and 35-14 (2011).
The Utes and Sun Devils met every season but one (1965) between 1961-76, when Utah got six contests in the Wasatch Front. Both teams were part of the Western Athletic Conference from 1962-77 until ASU split for the Pac-10. During that time, Utah never lost more than three games in a row and even won two straight in 1964 and 1966.
The Utes’ last win in the series was a 31-28 decision in 1976 in Tempe.
In 1973, the Utes stunned a nationally ranked Sun Devils squad in a snowy game that featured 10 ASU turnovers. The upset of No. 8 ASU marked the Utes’ most recent regular-season defeat of a Top 10 opponent at home until they beat No. 5 Stanford, 27-21, last month.
Rhett Wilkinson is a project manager for Utah Policy Daily and an alumni of USU. The co-founder of magazine AggieBluePrint.com, he has interned for the Deseret News and other publications. email@example.com | Twitter: @wilklogan
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon announces...
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- High school wrestling: Perennial powers...
- Utah State's Evans has been on a 'long journey'
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 33
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 30
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24