3AA high school football: Juan Diego advances to the semifinals for 5th time in 6 years with win over Snow Canyon
DRAPER — Juan Diego hasn’t received a true scare since the second week of the season and hasn’t been challenged remotely for the last several weeks. In Friday’s 3AA quarterfinal game against Snow Canyon, the Soaring Eagle only led 14-13 in the second quarter.
“Coming off the bye week and the competition we played before — a lot of the starters weren’t even playing a full game,” Juan Diego quarterback Cole Nelson said. “We haven’t had a three-and-out in a few weeks — we haven’t punted.”
The Warriors had just closed the gap with Warner Rigby’s second touchdown pass to Zach Kennedy from 35 yards out when Juan Diego’s Cameron Hansen caught the kickoff at the 22-yard line and the game changed.
Hansen took the kick to the house and provided much-needed points on a night where the offense struggled and Juan Diego remained perfect with a 42-28 win to earn a spot in the semifinals.
“I’ve had faith in him on returning, and once I saw him get past that kicker I was so stoked,” Nelson said. “With me playing defense also, it kind of gave me a break and I could relax mentally. At quarterback it’s a lot of thinking — it was nice to know that we were up a score, especially how our offense was playing tonight.”
“It wasn’t the worst night, but Snow Canyon is good,” Nelson said. “We haven’t faced competition like that in a few weeks. Our line wasn’t used to getting pushed around as much. They played really well, but it was a tough night for our offense.”
Juan Diego returns to the semifinals for the fifth time in six years after Dixie ruined its 12-0 season with a 14-13 win on its way to the state championship last season. The Soaring Eagle will play Pine View at Rice-Eccles Stadium on Thursday at 11 a.m.
“I get sick to my stomach thinking about it,” Nelson said of last year’s abrupt ending. “Personally, I think we could have beat Dixie last year but we overlooked them. We know this year not only to take it one game at a time but to take it one play at a time.”
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week, moves up...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- Things won't get any easier for disappointed...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead, game to...
- Mike Sorensen: 5 reasons to be excited (or...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 280
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 87
- Things won't get any easier for... 64
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 50
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 37
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31
- Utah football pre-game day roundup:... 19